Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: H1n1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question regarding the H1N1 vaccine? Who and why does a select group of people get to decide who gets the shots? I would thik this could open up some discriination lawsuits? Any lawyers out there?
    coffeelover

Doug Guest

In our country, anyway. USA! USA! No. 1! No.1! Sorry! Couldn't resist an open invitation for a zinger. Yes, I can see that happening. People like us, looking healthy on the surface, might be the cause of such suits when less healthy looking people see or hear of us getting shots when they can't get theirs. It's sort of a triage or crapshoot medical professionals and politicians have to do to try to minimize the worst effects of the worst possible scenario.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default H1N1 shot

I got my H1N1 shot today. It hurts at the site. Boy I was nervous, but I knew if I didn't get the shot I would be in big doo, doo. My son gets all sorts of viruses and of course I get them. Had the flu a couple years ago and ended in the emergency room. So ever since then I make sure I get the seasonal flu shot every year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got an invite through the post today from my GP to come in and have the shot. The only thing that makes me hesitate at all is that the vaccine contains immune system boosters. Not sure if this is true of the annual vaccine, but it is a cause for concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just returned from getting my H1N1 vaccine Boy did have a go-around with my doc about this: I say "no way" he said "you must" . . . bottom line: Do I risk a flare from the vaccine (which I have had in the past, but not from flu vaccines) or risk getting the flu and the complications (I am immo-suppressed). The deciding factor for me was that I will be in Nepal for over two months - very third world conditions.
    So, I am waiting . . . . .

P.S. I have to really had to do some talking in order to convince the local clinic that I am a "priority person" and I waited outside the building until they called my name - I was not going into that waiting room!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, your not the only one who is hesitant. Most of my friends are on the fence and they are healthy. They are concerned about side effects (long term). Hopefully I won't get any weird side effects from this H1N1 shot. I have to take my chances. My sister has the H1N1 virus and she is really sick. She is very healthy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably go ahead and have it.
    I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the immune boosting component is in the standard flue jab anyway and it hasn't killed me yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever my Wegs doc wants me to do something (test, procedure, etc...) that I think can be delayed or avoided altogether, he says "Okay. I'm not going to arm-wrestle you over it." We both laugh and move on to the next item.

At my last appointment I didn't wait for him to bring up the topic. I said, "I'm not going to do any of the vaccines. My reasons for choosing not to do them are just as solidly based in science as your reasons for recommending them. I'm not going to arm-wrestle you over it." He did have to laugh at that.
    Last edited by Sangye; 11-18-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who are getting the vaccines, bring a letter from your doctor with your diagnosis. You don't need a new letter, just a copy of your last clinic note. It'll have your list of diagnoses, your history and a few notes about your status. That will save you having to stand around a bunch of germy people and argue your case!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I thought I was out of the woods being sick myself and getting over it in a couple days. Now my youngest is napping and sweating. It is 67 degrees in the house. We are still in it I guess. My daughter got back to school today finally and is very tired and warm again. I was thinking we were done with this flu thing but I guess not. I havent heard about my RA getting the vacs yet. I am going to pass on it. I had the flu last weekend and it was swine said the docs. So once again I beat them to it!!! Our nieghbors are keeping there distance again. Jesse has CF so when she gets sick she ends up in the hospital for weeks or a month.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast