Thread: High Glucose from Prednisone???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default High Glucose from Prednisone???

Hi all,
    I started 20 mg Prednisone almost 3 weeks ago (along with 15 MTX once a week, Folic Acid and Bactrim)
    This past week about 1-2 hours after I take the Prednisone I get TERRIBLE headaches that last until the night. Also, yesterday I thought I was going to pass out, I was light-headed, shaky... So I took my blood sugar (thinking it was low), I had eaten 3 hours prior to this. It was 183!!! I DO NOT want to take the Prednisone anymore! I put 2 messages into Dr. Seo at JH yesterday and again this am asking him about this...heard nothing back. UGH. Does this happen with Prednisone? Anything can be done about it? I am SCARED!
    thank you
    Deb H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not heard of this happening with pred. I would do as you as far as checking with your doctor but keep taking the pred in the meantime as this is probebly not related.
    Mike
    If you can't be positive be optomistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pred does raise havoc with blood glucose levels which makes controlling it much more difficult for us people with diabetes. I would also assume your symptoms would be more likely indicative of low blood glucose levels as it sounds like the many hypogylcemic reactions i have had. Did you bother to check it again as it might have been an error? I always double check when I get a reading that doesn't seem right and some times the second and thirds ones seem more correct to me. I also have a several different meters to use to compare readings as problems do develop at times. A few months ago my readings were way off due to a batch of bad test strips which should have been recalled but I missed the notice. I discovered the error when I compared the readings with a couple of different blood glucose meters. For me a reading of 183 an hour or two after eating would be a good reading as readings normally should increase after eating some carbs and decline to lower levels in three or four hours. A 24 hour test with a CGM will help sort out if you have BG levels out of whack that may require some extra changes in meds or diet.
    Last edited by drz; 05-10-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reading of 183 would be good for me too. And yes pred will raise your BG levels. High BG levels don't give me a headache or the shakes, but going hypo does. It could be totally unrelated to the pred. So talking to your doc is a good move. Keep us posted.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers