Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTX and alcohol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MTX and alcohol

They have said I only need to have 3 CTX ivs then I am moving onto MTX.

I've heard that if you split the dose this can minimise side effects. Whats the best time of day to time it? Also I believe you need to take folic acid as well.

I have also read very differing views on MTX and alcohol some say none at all the UK state that you can have 2-3 drinks per day but not on the day you take it or the day after and no more than 14 in a weeK. As anyone had a drink whilst taking this, I do like a few glasses of wine on a weekend so I'm planning to take the MTX on a Tuesday and have a few glasses of wine on the Saturday and Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Donna,

It's true that alcohol and mtx don't mix well. The combination - especially excessive (a term that has different definitions) alcohol - can mess up the liver. I'm more of a beer drinker, so I've been able to accommodate with non-alcoholic beers. My favorites are Clausthaler and Kaliber. Unfortunately, non-alcoholic wine is just grape juice. I drink one or two glasses of wine with dinner perhaps once a month or so with no ill effects. The UK mtx protocol is more liberal with alcohol than the US protocol.

I take my mtx on Wednesday (3 pills in am and 4 in pm). I am a little tired on Wednesday and Thursday, but it doesn't interfere with my normal activities. That's the only side effect I've experienced.

I take 1 mg of folic acid daily to prevent hair loss. Seems to be working, although my hair is a little coarser now.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-3 drinks per day sounds like too much on MTX. There've been times I've had one small drink per day for periods of time. That is probably too much, as well, and I'm currently not drinking any because I don't feel like it. Most on here who take MTX seem to adhere to either "not at all", or "occasionally", as in once or twice a month, or maybe even once a week. Each person decides for themselves. My doc never even mentioned it to me, which doesn't mean he shouldn't have. It says to "avoid" it on the pill bottle and info sheet. Alcohol and MTX are both hard on the liver, which I think is the main reasoning behind it, not to compound the problem. Eventually, liver problems would show up in your bloodwork, but that might be too late to have avoided liver damage.... I don't know. If you just have a couple glasses of wine on the weekend, I wouldn't think of it as a big deal, personally, but others may disagree. We may vary on how easily our livers can be affected.
    Last edited by annekat; 05-09-2014 at 04:56 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy a small single malt whiskey once or twice a week. And I mean enjoy!
    Mike
    If you can't be positive be optomistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think the no alcohol would have to do with the fact that mthx is processed through the liver. I Did NOT drink and tween the mthx and Imuran had liver distress. So if a prescription says not to consume alcohol, I don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaypfei View Post
    I would think the no alcohol would have to do with the fact that mthx is processed through the liver. I Did NOT drink and tween the mthx and Imuran had liver distress. So if a prescription says not to consume alcohol, I don't.
    I agree - my Rheumy actually told me not to drink alcohol and then the pharmacist also said it and put a little sticker on the bottle.

I also had liver distress and I haven't had any alcohol for about 10 years or more and before then was one glass on Xmas day - yep that's me, the big drinker

I don't know, I would think that your health and your liver were more important than having to have something alcoholic.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I would think that your health and your liver were more important than having to have something alcoholic.
    agree. I don't even like alcohol.... aweful taste....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was on MTX I was getting married and they told me I could have one ounce of wine at my wedding and that's it, and only because it was a special occasion... I was 22 at the time, and they were very adamant (since I think they thought I was young and wild) to stay away from alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you are young and wild.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL I wish! Young, maybe. Wild? In my dreams maybe haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast