User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Our Compromised Ammune Systems...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default With Our Compromised Ammune Systems...

should we be watching our sun exposure? Are we more susceptible to skin cancer?
    Been working as a cashier in a grocery store, and as the weather gets warmer I think about it when I have to go out to retrieve shopping carts. I take 25mg Imuran which is my immune suppressant.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David
    I think that it is always better to use cream to protect from the sun. especially with our meds.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we have to worry about this Dave. How long would you be out collecting the carts? If you are out for say, over 20 or 30 minutes, then I would apply a good sunscreen. Maybe your boss can have someone else help you gather the carts so that you are not out so long. I was thinking of you this morning and wondering how you were doing. I hope you are doing well.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skin problems become more common after having Wegs a few years (one study indicated most Weggies develop some skin issues after 5 years) and this might increase the risk of skin cancer too. Some meds make us more vulnerable to sunburn too but your pharmacist can tel you if you have any of those meds.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whilst probably not an issue BECAUSE of the disease, you should definitely stay out of the sun when taking imuran! From the imuran leaflet online:

• Your doctor will have discussed with you the possibility of a slightly increased risk of cancer (particularly skin cancer) associated with immunosuppressants like azathioprine. Do not use sunbeds, and avoid strong sunlight or use a sun cream with a high sun protection factor (SPF of at least 15).
    Last edited by MCC; 05-08-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two medications that advise to avoid direct sunlight - MTX and Plaquenil.

As a worksafe practice (not sure if you have this in the USA), if you are out in the sun for more than 5 minutes Dave, then the company you work for, should provide the appropriate protective clothing - hat, sunglasses, UV shirt.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I have two medications that advise to avoid direct sunlight - MTX and Plaquenil.

As a worksafe practice (not sure if you have this in the USA), if you are out in the sun for more than 5 minutes Dave, then the company you work for, should provide the appropriate protective clothing - hat, sunglasses, UV shirt.
    I knew there was SOMETHING I take that i should avoid sun with. It's the MTX. I wasn't sure about pred, too. I have fair skin and will never be a big sun hog, but do go out just a bit for light gardening and such. Right now, it just isn't that intense at my house and I'm not out too long. Later, I'll need to be more careful... those are good suggestions, Michelle, for anyone, but especially for those of us on certain drugs.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I knew there was SOMETHING I take that i should avoid sun with. It's the MTX. I wasn't sure about pred, too. I have fair skin and will never be a big sun hog, but do go out just a bit for light gardening and such. Right now, it just isn't that intense at my house and I'm not out too long. Later, I'll need to be more careful... those are good suggestions, Michelle, for anyone, but especially for those of us on certain drugs.
    Anne do you actually get to see the sun up there other than July and August?? Just kidding. I miss being up there. Lol
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    Anne do you actually get to see the sun up there other than July and August?? Just kidding. I miss being up there. Lol
    Yep, we had a couple of days in the 80's last week, which WAS unusual, for sure. Today was sunny but the drippy stuff is supposed to start again tomorrow. At my house, sun is most evident in the morning right now and gets blocked by trees and the hill behind me. Later, it will be up higher and will give a little more heat and warmth for longer, but it is usually warmer in town than here on sunny days. I'm glad you got to appreciate this part of the US for a time.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have plenty of sun here most of the year.... sometimes too much.... so I am always with protective cream.... although a bit of sun, not in the warm hours IS important to get Vitamin D.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast