Thread: Vaccinations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vaccinations

Hi,
    I can't remember if this has come up before, so sorry if so. I wondered if there if any reason to be concerned about vaccinations causing a flare up? I need to get Hepatitis A, Typhoid and Tetanus for a holiday.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy your holiday after getting vaccinated! Being vaccinated will not cause a flare.

Do not be afraid to get vaccinated. It is always better to be vaccinated and not get a disease (Hep A, Typhoid, and Tetanus). These are nasty diseases that can make you incredibly ill if you are unvaccinated and become infected. The anti-vaccine arguments are leading to more people going unvaccinated and increased rates of diseases that we thought were wiped out in the US (e.g. whooping cough).

Map: Vaccine-Preventable Outbreaks | Introduction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure that vaccinations can't cause a flare. please read Marta's posts about it.
    you must make sure that those you are going to take, are not with live virus.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an article about autoimmune diseases and vaccines. http://image.thelancet.com/extras/02art9340web.pdf

The main take-aways:
    "Does immunization with a killed or a live vaccine make someone with a proven previously diagnosed autoimmune disease worse? ------- As a general rule, patients with an autoimmune disease are not at risk of exacerbation after administration of any of the available vaccines. Conversely, several vaccine preventable infections are known to negatively affect the course of defined autoimmune diseases."

***The infections are known to negatively affect you and may actually cause a flare.

"How can one demonstrate or exclude that a vaccine caused an autoimmune disease? ----- Only epidemiological studies or clinical trials with an extremely large sample size can allow for a consistent assessment of the relative risk of vaccine-related increased incidence. Studies with such large sample sizes are complex, difficult to do, and costly, which limit their availability."

***It is impossible to determine that a vaccine causes a flare based on the association made by one person (e.g. Marta and the flu shot). Also, you may notice in that thread that other weggies get vaccinated annually without incident. My rheumatologist told me to get vaccinated because I am more likely 1. to contract the flu as I am taking mtx and have wegeners and 2. to have a more serious case than someone without wegeners (aka lasts longer, worse symptoms).
    http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...et-s-nest.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for that very useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lag713 View Post
    My rheumatologist told me to get vaccinated because I am more likely 1. to contract the flu as I am taking mtx and have wegeners and 2. to have a more serious case than someone without wegeners (aka lasts longer, worse symptoms)
    My rheumatologist told me not to have the vaccinations.
    She said, why put anymore chemicals and unknowns into your system, than you already have going on in there.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with all respect, I insist on the point that vaccinations with live virus are dangerous for us. my wg doc also said so.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI - tetanus and hepatitis A are not given as live vaccines. Typhoid can be but generally is not.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/...ts/typhoid.pdf

And of course, you shouldn't get a vaccine if you're allergic to it or if you are currently ill. You should wait until you recover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    My rheumatologist told me not to have the vaccinations.
    She said, why put anymore chemicals and unknowns into your system, than you already have going on in there.
    thanks, this just makes sense to me.

Will look into live ones a bit more.