User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone = decreased testosterone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that link, Wedgie. I'd been needing some clarification on the differences between anabolic and catabolic steroids. Too many people in everyday conversation don't know the difference and are alarmed at me being on "steroids".... not that either is great to be on.

Acker, I like guys with long hair, and I don't think I'm the only one. I'll be 62 this year and since I'm a Weggie, too, that would not be a problem. Too bad we live so far apart. But be patient, I think you are bound to run into a good woman who will like you for who you are and not for what medical condition you have or don't have. If you ride motorbikes and have a young outlook on life, and don't "look sick" most of the time, I don't think it should be a problem.

And teehk, others have said the right things.... From a woman's point of view, I was in a "friends with benefits" relationship for several years with a very attractive guy and could not understand why I could not feel as satisfied as I had with partners in the past, since there was nothing anatomically wrong anywhere, and here was this hunky guy I was with...... Perhaps the chemistry just wasn't right, perhaps I'd grown up to where I needed more than something casual... at some point I just had to say I can't do this anymore; it wasn't doing a thing for me emotionally or physically and it was time to move on. Not saying it's the same for you... you are much younger and women your age may be more able to enjoy the casual stuff than someone like me.... do keep in mind that women reach their peak of sexual energy at a later age than men... so it could be her as much as you that is the issue, or maybe the chemistry just isn't right between you. I'd say, relax, you have time, and you are bound to find out some day how much better it is in a real love relationship. In the meantime, keep going to the gym, but go easy on yourself, and concentrate on getting well and being able to stop the prednisone some day.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi thank you for your words of wisdom, and compliments, I haven't given up on a good woman yet well I still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up. Tee Hee Acker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acker View Post
    Hi thank you for your words of wisdom, and compliments, I haven't given up on a good woman yet well I still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up. Tee Hee Acker
    I don't know about wisdom.... glad you haven't given up; me either, but it isn't always easy at our ages when people get so set in their ways. There are some interesting people out there, though... I feel the same way you do about growing up...
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read that pred causes reduced testicular size, which in turn I would think would result in less testosterone. I at the age of 60 am having trouble also but
    hope the reduction of pred will help. I am still doing the 6 month regiment of pred and cytox,,, one month left, numbers look good at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read that pred causes reduced testicular size
    I checked, no problems here...mumble mumble, scratch scratch...takes large gulp of coffee...RU kidding me?!?!?!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checked . Everything in perfect working order. Haven't heard of that problem before!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prednisone does create suppression of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) synthesis as it is not mitigated by prednisone. DHEA is an important sex hormone precursor, neurosteroid, and endocrine and immune modulator; therefore, DHEA depletion may have significant adverse consequences in terms of sex hormone production, bone health, endocrine and immune system function, and neuropsychiatric status. Studies of DHEA replacement in patients taking prednisone for lupus demonstrate amelioration of some of these adverse effects.

see study abstract: Suppression of adrenal function by low-dose p... [Altern Med Rev. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

or full study report: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/11/1/40.pdf
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Prednisone does create suppression of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) synthesis as it is not mitigated by prednisone. DHEA is an important sex hormone precursor, neurosteroid, and endocrine and immune modulator; therefore, DHEA depletion may have significant adverse consequences in terms of sex hormone production, bone health, endocrine and immune system function, and neuropsychiatric status. Studies of DHEA replacement in patients taking prednisone for lupus demonstrate amelioration of some of these adverse effects.

see study abstract: Suppression of adrenal function by low-dose p... [Altern Med Rev. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

or full study report: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/11/1/40.pdf
    Well as a guy of 69 with no lady partner, I can't know if it has effected me or not Acker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone taken the DHEA replacement therapy? I wonder if it would be an alternative to taking a generic Fosomax for bone health.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I wonder if it would be an alternative to taking a generic Fosomax for bone health.
    Guess Fosomax is a biphosphonate (or however its spelled). Someone I know with wegs had taken those bone drugs and was going to some dental surgery. The side effects of those can be fairly gruesome. I was on biphosponates for over 6 months, but was finally allowed to stop taking them. I did ask many times if I really need them, as I'm a fairly young male and never had that xray about my bone densities so not sure if I'd even need them. Guess its common hear to prescribe them when taking high cortisone doses.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast