User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be Careful when being treated at Hospital Emergency Rooms!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Be Careful when being treated at Hospital Emergency Rooms!!!!!

I have not been on the site for almost 2 weeks now. I will tell you why. Because I have been in the hospital. I take strong pain meds for my sinuses, since they are no longer there and take special care of them, and glass tubes in the corners of my eyes, etc. Causes extreme pain in my face. Sounds weird, even Doctors don't understand until they see my facial X-rays. The BAD thing about these meds are CONSTIPATION!! I have been fighting it for years. Well it finally happened.....I got impacted. about a foot up from my colon/anus. They took xrays, and saw exactly where it was, so 2 girls, technitions I suppose, put me in a room and mixed up some liquid, and did the enema. Well IMMEDIATELY I had to GO!!!! They told me to hold it a little longer, then let the fluid out. Then I ran to the bathroom and I was fixed!!! I thanked them and got dressed. Then I had to go again! Yay! getting it all out!!!!! I went back to where my Mom was waiting, and the ER DR said my Potassium was too high for them to send me home, Probably caused from the laxatives, and enemas I had tried at home before coming to ER. So they were going to keep me overnite. Then I had to "GO" again. So I ran to the bathroom, and something did not feel right. I felt back there And I thought my colon had prolapsed, and was falling out of me! Plus, a bunch of BLOOD wan in the toilet!!! I was terrified! I ran and told Mom, she got the RN. As I was waiting for a room, I had to "go" 2 more times, I was was still expelling from my impaction, but there was still a lot of blood, and my colon was now contracting like a muscle spasm in my rectum. It was more pain that I had in childbirth! Wnen they got IV's going and helped my pain a little, I went to a room. Ct scan showed EXACTLY where impaction was. Then I had a colonscopy 3rd day in hosp. It showed that my colon had been burned and looked black and gray, and had an open ulcer, and the sides of the colon were thickened. But It was only like that from where the enema was, above that was fine! The Hospital Dr that did my colonscopy was MAD!!! He wanted to know what they used in the enema. Not sure what all was in it, but they used Peroxide. He said that they NEVER should have used that on me! He actually came to my room and told me he honestly felt the problem occurred when they did the enema. But they did not know I had Wegeners. Well, Me and Mom nearly fell out of our chair/bed.....I ALWAYS bring a copy of my wegeners information, with a backgrouned of the dz. and a copy of all of my surgeries, etc... Things like this have happened before, where Drs, or Nurses that have not heard of the dz just kindof ignore it for some reason! Peroxide should NEVER be used as an enema when you have Vasculitis disease!!!! So I was in the hospital for six days, writhing in pain, since my long term use of pain meds make me kindof immune to the regular doses of pain meds given to a person my size. The doctor that did my colonscopy said he had to give me enough pain meds to put me out for the procedure, that would normally put 2 people out. I have been staying with my parents since I left the hospital on April 19. My spasms have stopped pretty much, just feels like menstrual pain. No more bleeding. Im gonna try to go back to work tomorrow. Things seem to be healing, and no fever. So God is good! I really wanted to share this, because people do not understand Wegeners, and how sensitive we are to some things. If the hospital staff had taken a closer look at my admission papers, and my disease, they would have chosen a different way to treat my impaction! My hospital stay was a nightmare. It was the most humilitating,(I had to wear an adult diaper the whole time!) painful, fearful (I was scared I would lose part of my colon). It took 5 doctors of different specialties to diagnose what had happened to my colon. They had never seen something like this before! So I say all this to tell ALL MY WEGGIE FRIENDS...... BEWARE of people who do not know your disease! Explain it is a VASCULAR DZ and NEVER EVER let them use peroxide in an enema!!!!!! I hope I helped at least ONE person form the nightmare I went through. Love and happiness to all!!
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh. no. poor Lilly
    what a nightmare
    thanks for sharing the info and for warning us. we need to always ask if any treatment is allowed to weggies.
    thanks God you overcame this. you are a strong lady, no doubt
    about handling constipation: there are things that you can eat which can help you with it: tomatos, olive oil, dried plums, oats. you should also drink a lot of water.
    I have a joke about constipation, but I will write it only if you will allow me to.... I don't feel yet that it is time for jokes....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gosh Lily

I'm so sorry that with everything you've been through, you had to once again deal with people that take an oath to do no harm, yet do. I hope you are feeling better and have a fast recovery. Thank you for giving us a heads up on Peroxide enemas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, Lilly, I'm sorry you had to go through this awful experience! I don't they should charge you or your insurance for the extra days as a result of their screw up. But I don't suppose that is how it works. Anyway, I'm sorry for your pain and suffering after all you have already been through, and thanks for the heads up on this!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Lilly sorry you went thru this. It's awful! I also suffer from constipation and had similar situation. I take miralax to keep things under control but did find myself impacted after a wks illness and not being able to take miralax. Was in er and drank something awful. After what I call the most horrible experience of my life (up all night running to bathroom) and a days rest I was back to normal. Thanks for the info cause this can rwly happen.

Does anyone know anything else we can't tak?. I know ibuprofen is no good.
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my goodness Lilly, you poor thing.

I'm glad everything is settling down now and that you even feel like you can go back to work

Thankyou for the heads up on peroxide........I have never heard of that. I wonder what other joys there are that we just don't know about.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Lilly sorry you had to go through this nightmare. I'm glad you were able to make a full recovery, but what a horrible experience. Hugs to you and hopefully stay out of ER's.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lily,I feel so bad for you and all you have been thru with this nasty disease. I'm glad I read this because I am feeling the same way I thought about going to the er to get a scan to see if there is a blockage. I know before they gave me this thing they call a soap sud enama,I don't know what is in it but it cleans you out in a hurry. That must have been so scary for you, you should sue them for neglagence !!! So glad you are better now
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lily, that's HORRIBLE!

One piece of advice for you - if you are billed for a portion of this hospital stay, get in contact with the patient advocate at the hospital. I completely agree with Anne. This should not be billed to your insurance, and at the very least, you should not be responsible for any patient portion. The hospital should have a patient advocate to help you with this. There should have been an incident report filed as well.
    (can you tell I work in medical billing? )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, I think it would be alright to tell the joke... we all need a laugh.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast