Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decreased prednisone and headaches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Decreased prednisone and headaches

I decreased my prednisone from 15 to 10mg on Tuesday and for the past two day I have had a slight headache, worse today. Anybody else experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't, but there are many comments on here about that...search pred and headaches, something should come up.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, whenever I change dosages I find it takes a few days for my body adjusts.
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to alternate between 15 one day and 10 the next for a week or so.......or even try going to 12.5 instead.

Headaches are very common when reducing pred, together with some aches and pains.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

def the pred reduction I am going through this too right now.... after 6 days of down to 4mg from 5mg, I got terrible headaches.... now the third day back on 5mg, feeling a bit better....
    we can't do without our precious pred
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to taper depends a lot on your history and dosage. If you had a sudden increase to treat a flare, then they often taper quickly to get you back to normal treatment levels. If you are tapering from a long term usage, then a slower and more gradual taper seems best. At the smaller dosages, the size of the taper becomes a larger percentage and more inclined to cause some symptoms. I found it best for me to taper slowly and had few symptoms if the taper reduction was about 10% or less of previous dosage. Thus when tapering from 15 I went down to 12.5, at 6 I went down to 5 3/4, 5 1/2, 5 1/4 and 5 usually over 10-12 days between reductions and usually two weeks at larger dosages. It means having different sizes like 1, 2.5, 5, 10, and doing some splitting of pills too but greatly reduces problems from tapring pred meds.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've experienced this almost every time my dosage goes down. I went from 5mg to 4mg on Sunday, and right now I have a little bit of a headache going on. If it gets worse, does not go away, or worries you in general, give your doctor a call and let them know about it.
    "It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown!"

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its weird that we don't have 1mg tabs over here. The smallest is 5mg. Was supposed to go down to 5 from 7,5 on 1st of May, but have been taking the 7,5mg since I have a slight case of the flu and loads to do at work so figured it might not be the best time to cut down (have heard that some increase their dosage when they are ill).

In July I'll go down to 2,5 if everything goes well. I'll do like I've done before and alternate between the two doses for a few days. Not that my doc told me about it or anything, but I'm not sure if its such a great idea to cut your dose in half cold turkey
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    Its weird that we don't have 1mg tabs over here. The smallest is 5mg. Was supposed to go down to 5 from 7,5 on 1st of May, but have been taking the 7,5mg since I have a slight case of the flu and loads to do at work so figured it might not be the best time to cut down (have heard that some increase their dosage when they are ill).

In July I'll go down to 2,5 if everything goes well. I'll do like I've done before and alternate between the two doses for a few days. Not that my doc told me about it or anything, but I'm not sure if its such a great idea to cut your dose in half cold turkey

I have 1 mg and 2.5 mg pred pills. I agree that cutting the dosage 50% seems a bit drastic and likely to cause problems.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I have 1 mg and 2.5 mg pred pills. I agree that cutting the dosage 50% seems a bit drastic and likely to cause problems.

We have 1's, 5's and 25's - according to the product info, however I'm pretty sure that I have also had 10's
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast