Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serum sickness & ritux?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got quite sick after my second rituximab infusion (fever and vomiting) but it passed within 24 hours.

They gave me Piriton and paracetamol during the infusion to help with side-effects but I have heard some doctors also give some extra steroids?

As for how long it takes to work, my B-cell-count goes to zero within days. But symptoms-wise, the first time I had it, it took a month or so to help. That initial treatment was as a steroid-sparing agent and to give some extra help while I was reducing my Cellcept dose. The second time I had it though (9 months ago) it was to try and help treat a flare and it hasn't helped my symptoms at all. I'll get another dose when my B cells return.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting how different consultants approach prescribing this drug. My regime (delivered across 2 years as described above) is delivered irrespective of B-cell count and the only thing which once delayed it was a very low general antibody count.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often wonder why wee have to undergo the chemo and pred therapy even metho if rituximab or other m less toxic methods work, are we not worth anything to our governments
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here in the UK it's becasue the drug isn't licenced for WG and I suspect that as it's extremely expensive it's use isn't widely encouraged by those who are least appreciate its value.

Best wishes

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the US none of the drugs are licensed for Wegs. Even ctx is used "off-label." The reason ritux isn't used first is partially because it's new and there aren't tons of studies showing its efficacy, and partially because of the expense. I think the former is changing, and if it is, the latter will eventually change also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Thomas View Post
    Here in the UK it's becasue the drug isn't licenced for WG and I suspect that as it's extremely expensive it's use isn't widely encouraged by those who are least appreciate its value.

Best wishes

Martin
    I was using Mycophenolate before it was licensed for use on Wegener's. Because my hospital runs a vasculitis research center, they were able to justify its use as a drug trial. If I ever needed Rituximab, I hope the same would hold true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same holds for Canada, no drugs are approved for Wegs, it seems we are way off the charts. The ones that are dispensed may be used for autoimmune diseases but have not been approved by FDA.
    Jolanta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12