Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidney Biopsy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all for sharing the info in this thread. I have filed it away in my memory bank just in case down the track someone mentions a kidney biopsy I am such a chicken when it comes to these things. But I did survive a sinus and tongue ulcer biopsy and some kind of biopsy during a bronchoscope where i was sort of half awake. So I guess I would survive a kidney biopsy should it be warranted

By the way chadwyck make sure you don't neglect treating UTI's as they can get rather nasty and turn chronic. if you do have recurring UTI's they should be able to grow the culture and find out which bug then target it with antibiotics.
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody for all your support and advice! I won't know until the end of this month. Every Tuesday starting last week is a urine test to see if blood appears in it. I was told by the nephrologist that the odd protein is ok but blood... IS A NO NO! As for the freaking out part, I think it's because I know the procedure. Even though I'd be lying face down, I can't see what they're doing. I'm more calm when I can see what's going on, even if I don't know why they do what they do. I honestly think because this is my last week of prednisone nothing will show up to warrant the biopsy. I'm jealous of the patients who are off treatment...good for you but I'm jealous! LOL

What was confusing me was that I already know I have Wegener's since March 2010, so why get re-diagnosed 4 years later with another biopsy?? I didn't know some people need multiple biopsies in their lifetime just to determine future treatment(s). Now I understand that it's the first biopsy that gets you diagnosed...future ones tell you how much damage is done to the affected area, how to treat it with what and by how much. I thought I was a pro at this by now and I'm still learning just like my first month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeanMarie View Post
    Same here - a walk in the park - they gave me meds that put me in the twinkie zone!
    I was in a bad "twinkie zone" from the meds during my hip replacement. LOL I convinced myself that all bills were paid and I didn't bother paying them. It was when I owed twice as much money the following month I scratched my head and said to myself, thank goodness I'm not a drug addict! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwyck View Post
    Thanks everybody for all your support and advice! I won't know until the end of this month. Every Tuesday starting last week is a urine test to see if blood appears in it. I was told by the nephrologist that the odd protein is ok but blood... IS A NO NO! As for the freaking out part, I think it's because I know the procedure. Even though I'd be lying face down, I can't see what they're doing. I'm more calm when I can see what's going on, even if I don't know why they do what they do. I honestly think because this is my last week of prednisone nothing will show up to warrant the biopsy. I'm jealous of the patients who are off treatment...good for you but I'm jealous! LOL

What was confusing me was that I already know I have Wegener's since March 2010, so why get re-diagnosed 4 years later with another biopsy?? I didn't know some people need multiple biopsies in their lifetime just to determine future treatment(s). Now I understand that it's the first biopsy that gets you diagnosed...future ones tell you how much damage is done to the affected area, how to treat it with what and by how much. I thought I was a pro at this by now and I'm still learning just like my first month.
    maybe I am wrong, but I must ask WHY should you do biopsy at all ?
    you already have the diagnosis. some get dx without biopsy (I did, with 2 false negative nose biopsies).
    the amout of damage can be evaluated in other ways like CT, blood tests, etc.
    the treatment is not necessarily according to the state of the kidneys... some of us don't even have kidneys involvement and still get the "big guns" like RTX (me)....
    you are the "owner" of your body, and you are the one who should decide what to do to it and what NOT.
    I wonder what others think and suggest....
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    maybe I am wrong, but I must ask WHY should you do biopsy at all ?
    you already have the diagnosis. some get dx without biopsy (I did, with 2 false negative nose biopsies).
    the amout of damage can be evaluated in other ways like CT, blood tests, etc.
    the treatment is not necessarily according to the state of the kidneys... some of us don't even have kidneys involvement and still get the "big guns" like RTX (me)....
    you are the "owner" of your body, and you are the one who should decide what to do to it and what NOT.
    I wonder what others think and suggest....
    I was actually supposed to do a kidney biopsy in 2010 but because of the time to wait for a rheumatologist it could have led me to kidney failure. This is why they went into the sinus for it because there was a massive granuloma party going on. This time around, the sinuses and lungs are behaving. It's the kidneys that are playing games with me. The weekly urine test is definitely for the UTI suspicion but because they were involved 4 years ago, they're not ruling out Wegener's. Just like how I get a notification for E-Mail, I wish I could get something like that for sinus, lung & kidney involvement...but we're not that advanced in technology yet. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had one of my docs that wanted another lung biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Of course I've had only lung involvement, but I would think that they could do a kidney scan to see if there are any granulomas present. They must have a site in mind to do the the kidney biopsy. What is sending them there. I have to agree with Alysia on this one. One biopsy is enough. We have the disease why does it have to be one biopsy per body part, or every so many years. Sheesh. The disease doesn't go away. Sorry sore subject for me. Went round and round with docs as they wanted to do another open lung biopsy on me. To date I've won. That may change you never know.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a kidney bx last year. I was not sedated at all. The radiologist did a local over the bx site and told me it would burn like a bee sting - didn't feel it. Then he proceeded to do the bx. Took 7 samples - didn't feel anything but his hand on my back. One IV the easier things I endured while in the hospital. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chadwyck,
    Just like the rest have said kidney biopsy, a walk in the park. my Doc & Nurse put some of my fav music on at the time and had me singing along, then they said, "hold it" so I stopped for a couple minutes and they said ok all done. The only thing I didn't like was having to lie on my back for 4hrs afterwards, as it was dinner time and I didn't want to miss it. So the Dinner lady liquidised my dinner for me so I could have it on my back. ( what a team they were in my hospital )
    When it's done you'll wonder why you were freaking out. All the best Acker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the time has come...no urinary tract infection!!! This was all Wegener's working behind the scenes... I found out today I have to do the kidney biopsy. But a month ago, was terrified about doing it. Now, I'm ok with doing it...I'm terrified of NOT doing it! I've seen what Wegener's have done to some people and it's a shame they're not alive to tell their own story. At least I am...so I'm not taking any chances.

On a good note, I told the doctor at nephrology, "Most of my friends stab me in the back when I least expect it...that's why we're no longer friends. You are the most respectable back stabber I've ever known... not only you warn me you're going to backstab me, you make me sign a consent form or you won't do it! We'll still be friends after this, I just know it!" He laughed so hard, he'll never forget my face no matter how many patients he has.
    Last edited by Chadwyck; 05-02-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the best with the biopsy chadwyck
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12