Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Biopsy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kidney Biopsy

Has anyone had a kidney biopsy without freaking out?? I need to know what to do to calm myself down. I found out today from the nephrologist that it may be necessary.

The steps are:

1) Do urine tests every week for a month to establish kidney function patterns for protein only or both blood & protein
    2) Blood work to make sure everything remains the same
    3) MRI results proved Wegener's didn't invade my brain (THANK GOD!)
    4) No activity in the sinuses or lungs (good sign Wegener's is behaving there)

So far over the last 7 months, protein showed up in urine tests at least 5 times but blood showed up only once...this past February.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean "not freaking out". Being told I had to have a kidney biopsy was the only time I cried during those few weeks in hospital. Just the thought of needles being poked into my kidney. Anyway, as it happened it was a walk in the park. I actually had 2 within the space of about 10 days...the first one they took the biopsy from the wrong part of the kidney. And i cried again when I found out I had to go through it again even though I knew it would not hurt. It is just the idea of it.

To calm yourself? Maybe an anti anxiety pill for a few days before. Honestly, it was nothing. The nasal biopsy was much worse as far as pain goes.

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 04-03-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here - a walk in the park - they gave me meds that put me in the twinkie zone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeanMarie View Post
    Same here - a walk in the park - they gave me meds that put me in the twinkie zone!
    What the heck is a 'twinkie' zone! I think I've been there, but there were no twinkies!!! I had a lung biopsy; I was in some kind of zone and never knew what was being done...it's not as bad as it sounds...best to you!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the course of my diagnosis, I had to have a bone marrow biopsy. Holy Mother of God that was the worst pain I've felt in my life and that was with a shot o' drugs at the incision site and two Valium. So ... when they said I had to have a lung biopsy as well, I panicked. Literally was shaking like a leaf on the day of the biopsy.
    Let me tell you ... that was a breeeeeeze. I was given IV meds to relax me and felt a little twinge at the beginning. When I told him I felt a little twinge, they gave me more meds and then I had NO idea what they did back there but I didn't feel it. I was awake but there was nothing.
    I have not had a kidney biopsy but I can promise you, the interventional radiologist who did my lung biopsy promised me that the bone marrow one is the most painful. So ... hopefully that means good things to you.
    On a side note, I have protein in my urine in every test I've ever taken. Yet, they always say it's just because of traces of a urinary tract infection. I have no idea how to read those tests I guess.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They did a kidney biopsy on me three years ago and it was non-event. The nurse spend about 15 minutes preparing, taking an ultrasound and explaining what would happen. After the doc arrived they positioned the monitor so that I could see what went on and the doc explained what he was doing and warned me about possible pain. The only discomfort I felt was when the needle entered my skin on the way to the kidney. They took two samples, it lasted less than 5 minutes and that was that. Afterwards I was told to lay on my side and call if I experienced any pain. That was it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish you all the best.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Chadwyck,

I have no idea what a kidney biopsy is like but from what the others have said, you should be fine.
    Hopefully you don't have to have one and then it will be even better than fine

Sinus biopsy wasn't too bad and breast biopsy just felt like a needle prick, so I presume they are all basically the same.

Thank goodness there is no brain involvement - for WG I mean, and I'm glad that WG seems to be behaving elsewhere.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    On a side note, I have protein in my urine in every test I've ever taken. Yet, they always say it's just because of traces of a urinary tract infection. I have no idea how to read those tests I guess.
    Nikki, if you have protein in your urine when you DON'T have uti, then you should do the urine collection of 24 hours to find out about it.

Chadwyck, good luck and please tell us, after it's over, how was it.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I slept through my kidney biopsy. The surgeon said he didn't need me awake for anything so I just zoned out and told him to wake me if he needed me for anything. I asked him how it was going when I woke up a while later and he said he was just finishing up. I think it was much like giving blood for lab work which most of us have done many times. There is a slight risk of complications from a biopsy or root canal or colonoscopy or any other invasive procedure but the risk is generally very small and most happen without any problems and little discomfort. having a PIC line inserted the second time was a lot more uncomfortable for me than the biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast