Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pain Management?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to walk in clinic tonight because of concern about infection. WBC is only slight elevated over my usual numbers but that usually means an infection is starting so I got some Clindamycin antibiotic to take for next week. Lot of swelling in area which they say is normal from bruising from surgery. But pain is slowly decreasing and more intermittent now. It was often painful before the surgery. The surgeon said the worst one had the colon trapped inside the hernia which can be very serious but i hope they fixed it in time so it will heal OK. I will learn more about surgery on next visit on Tuesday. I felt well enough to go out and eat afterward so that is a good sign that I should rejoin the land of living in a few days. Thanks for the well wishes and concern.

PS one fringe benefit of having such a surgery was no one said you "don't look sick". Instead it was the opposite, "Are you sure you should be out of bed walking around cause you look awful."
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I got some Clindamycin antibiotic
    Watch out with that... it's a broad spectrum antibiotic which can cause massive colon issues. Probiotics might be your best pal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz!!! Good seeing you... Get rest!!! Deb...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Watch out with that... it's a broad spectrum antibiotic which can cause massive colon issues. Probiotics might be your best pal.
    I am hoping a bit of diarrhea since I am fearful of constipation from pain meds and am also taking several laxatives and a gallon of prune juice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the update drz. I am glad you were able to get the help and that you are doing better after all. It takes time to heal. I think that they should have give you antibiotics from the beginning. Hang in there and take care. Keeping you in my thought & prayers, with love ♡♡
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping a bit of diarrhea since I am fearful of constipation from pain meds and am also taking several laxatives and a gallon of prune juice.
    Now I'm sorry I brought it up.

The risk with that antibiotic is c-diff infection, that's was I was warning about. It kills all the flora and fauna in your colon which allows the c-diff infection to take over. Untreated, c-diff is nearly 100% fatal in a few weeks. Clindamycin should automatically come with a massive supply of probiotics, at least a few month's worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha!!! Birdie... But, very good advice, and coming from you!!! ??? B. Deb!!! Ignore that b!!! I see it, all right, just can't get to it...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am diligently working on pain management right now 24 hours after surgery to repair a double hernia. Usually pain after surgery doesn't bother me too much but this time it seems to be a major challenge.
    Is the hernia just because you had one or does it go with Wegeners? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spiritscript View Post
    Is the hernia just because you had one or does it go with Wegeners? Thanks!
    Hernias can have many causes. I apparently had one years ago but it was asymptomatic. This time one was very painful and the other minor so as to not be felt by me. Five days afterward the pain is decreased and generally less severe and less frequent than it was before the surgery. The pred might have contribute to some muscle weakness and constipation can also be a cause which could relate to some of meds I take. Age and Wegs and Diabetes might also be contributing factors although not considered direct causes but the meds and diabetes and Wegs make surgery more complicated and healing slower but I think it will turn out OK. Straining and heavy lifting are often considered causal factors too.

Thanks for interest and concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the update drz. I am glad you are feeling better. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers ♡♡♡
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast