Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good report from the ENT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face A good report from the ENT!

I had my shortest ENT visit in two years today! Doc scoped left sinus, ran suction for about 30 seconds, switched to the other side, did the same, then rolled his chair back and said to me, "OK, tell me what you have been doing different the past month..." It kinda freaked me out a little actually. So I explained again what I as doing. With the Waterpik, I've been running the antibiotic through at the lowest flow setting while plugging the other nostril. I'm doing that until the sinuses are full, then I stop the water flow and let the rinse sit in the sinuses for 20-30 seconds, then I blow out the rinse. I do this three times with the antibiotic, but before i do this with the antibiotic, I do this 5-6 times with the regular saline.

Long story short is my sinuses are looking the best they have been in the two years that I've been seeing this doctor! A day to truly celebrate! It's been a long road since the raw, bloody sinuses and major crusting that started back in July/August!!!
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 03-14-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    I had my shortest ENT visit in two years today! Doc scoped left sinus, ran suction for about 30 seconds, switched to the other side, did the same, then rolled his chair back and said to me, "OK, tell me what you have been doing different the past month..." It kinda freaked me out a little actually. So I explained again what I as doing. With the Waterpik, I've been running the antibiotic through at the lowest flow setting while plugging the other nostril. I'm doing that Tunis the sinuses are full, then I stop the water flow and let the rinse sit in the sinuses for 20-30 seconds, then I blow out the rinse. I do this three times with the antibiotic, but before i do this with the antibiotic, I do this 5-6 times with the regular saline.

Long story short is my sinuses are looking the best they have been in the two years that I've been seeing this doctor! A day to truly celebrate! It's been a long road since the raw, bloody sinuses and major crusting that started back in July/August!!!
    What antibiotic do you use in the rinse? How do you get it dissolved?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome!!! Please elaborate! I need details, man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way to go Mike!!!!!
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think there are all sorts of liquid solutions that might be safe to use in rinses. I once had a sulfa suspension that I used to tried to desensitize myself to sulfa and I put one drop in 8 ounces of water to start. I wonder what liquids they use to rinse the sinuses when they are doing surgery on them and what cheaper equivalents might be easily available.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyRN View Post
    That is awesome!!! Please elaborate! I need details, man.
    This is the third antibiotic for the staff infection in my sinuses. The infection has become resistant twice. My suggestion is to do what we (my ENT and me) have done. Take a culture of the infection and base the treatment on what the lab sends back that will work for that particular strain of infection. I've had three different ones, and each have been made by my pharmacy. Gentamyacin (commonly called Wilson's solution), one that I've forgot the name of, and the current one is Bactroban or Mupirocin ointment dissolved into 1 liter medical saline bottles. Each time it has been a Rx of 60ml in each nostril 2 times a day. My method of application is what I think is making an obvious difference (described below).

Take my advise, have the ENT do a culture and get the right drugs for the right bug. It saves you time and headaches (literally) and eliminates the trial and error method of treatments. We are so far ahead now than if we had done it that way. If your ENT won't do a culture, find a new ENT. There is NO reason any of us should have to deal with sub-standard, behind the times, old school ENTs who don't want to do everything in their power to help us. We find the best rheumatologists we can, right? Why should ENTs be any different? Mine is exceptional. You can read my endorsement under the doctors section of this forum.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Mike, its good to have some positive news, and hopefully this may help many others. Keep up the great work.

Regards Woz.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome Mike. Good solution to your problems. I think you've stumbled onto something. Great news.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way to go Mike

So the ENT didn't mind that you were doing a rinse that wouldn't/wasn't recommended by him?
    Is he going to steal your process/idea ........ Whoops I mean, is he going to recommend to other patients, that they try this way?
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Way to go Mike

So the ENT didn't mind that you were doing a rinse that wouldn't/wasn't recommended by him?
    Is he going to steal your process/idea ........ Whoops I mean, is he going to recommend to other patients, that they try this way?
    Every rinse that I use has been recommended and prescribed by my ENT, including the salt to baking soda formula for the saline. I even started using the Alkalol on his recommendation. The only unconventional thing I've been doing is holding in the saline and antibiotic rinses in the sinuses for a time. That was my experiment and yes, he is going to keep that method in mind for other patients. He dictated my process into my file for his reference as well as to document what I am doing for my care record. It is a really cool thing to teach the doc a thing once! Yea, there will be no living with me now! LOL!!
    MikeG-2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast