Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on my Dad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Update on my Dad

I went with my Dad for his CT-guided lung biopsy today. The radiology nurse told us that from start to finish it would take about an hour and a half and that after the procedure is finished she would look for me in the outpatient waiting area. I decided that before I went to the cafeteria to grab some lunch, I would go to the hospital chapel to do my daily devotional. I had been in the chapel 15-20 minutes when I got a call from the radiology nurse saying Dad was fine, but the radiologist wanted to speak to both Dad and me together. When I got into the scanning room, Dad was on the table and the doctor was standing beside him. He told us that he is unable to do the biopsy because the nodule had shrunk by half. He said that he was worried he had reviewed someone else's CT scan prior to Dad getting on the table, so he scanned Dad both on his belly and his back to make sure he wasn't missing anything. Then he did some comparing with the first CT and he said there is no doubt it had gotten smaller. He said he believes the nodule is a resolving inflammatory process and will recommend that Dad has a repeat chest CT in three months to keep a close eye on it.

Dad is relieved. I am cautiously relieved...does this sound like it could be Wegener's-related? Would you be comfortable waiting 3 months for a follow-up scan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, nodules can shrink. I would feel comfortable waiting 3 months.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Yes, nodules can shrink. I would feel comfortable waiting 3 months.
    Yes, but if it were a malignancy, it wouldn't shrink so quickly, right? He is on prednisone 20mg daily (which I know wouldn't reduce the size of a malignancy) and methotrexate one dose weekly. I believe he has had three doses of MTX...could this drug shrink it if it were cancer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it could shrink if it was cancer. So either way it is a good sign.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it could be wg related. I have nodules on my lungs that come and go and I am currently just taking 5mg pred.How is his blood work coming back,as far as sed rate and urine test? My kidney dr. today me people can get nodules over nothing and that he may even have them,so if it shrinking I wouldn't worry too much just watch for any signs.
    Maybe the trip to the hosp. chapel helped !!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shrinking sounds good
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I think it could be wg related. I have nodules on my lungs that come and go and I am currently just taking 5mg pred.How is his blood work coming back,as far as sed rate and urine test? My kidney dr. today me people can get nodules over nothing and that he may even have them,so if it shrinking I wouldn't worry too much just watch for any signs.
    Maybe the trip to the hosp. chapel helped !!
    All his kidney function labs, including the urinalysis, were normal. We are hopeful that the nodule is WG-related, but we were told by both the rheumatologist and the pulmonologist that WG does not present in the lungs as a solitary nodule. (Although I have learned otherwise since joining here!). Also of significance is the single nodule's location and the fact that it appeared spiculated on my Dad's first chest CT.

We are so excited that it has shrunk by half, but now I'm wondering if the three doses of methotrexate he has taken caused that to happen. I asked the radiologist this question, he paused as if this was new information to him, and then said no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad for you and your dad. The only thing I can add to this discussion (only diagnosed a few weeks ago) is that I was told Methotrexate takes 4 to 6 weeks to infuse the tissues and become effective. Hence I am on higher dose of Prednisolone until the Methotrexate kicks in. When they started the Methotrexate and reduced the Prednisolone I immediately had a major flare up. So ... my experience would verify that it takes a while for the Methotrexate to take over. Hope this helps. Others will have more experience than me.
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrinking is a good sign. It has not got bigger. I was followed up at 3 monthly intervals when they saw what looked like cancer. It did not change in size (no change in medication ) and after a year got the all clear. That was in 2009. I did recently tell my story of the "spirculated: lesion found in the same place in June 2013 which did worry my Pulmonologist but after senior radiologist compared all previous xrays and scans, I was told it was definitely scar tissue and no follow up was required. My Pulmonologist was pretty sure in 2009 that it was scar tissue when first discovered but she was very concerned i n 2013 by the scan report and admitted to me that the adjective spirculated was worrying her though she was confused as they also mentioned calcium deposits which apparently according to her, are not usually found together....spirculated indicating possible cancer and calcium deposits something else.

This is good news!!

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 03-07-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could shrink. Good for your Dad
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast