User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicks Vapor Rub for Coughing????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vicks Vapor Rub for Coughing????

I got this in one of those spam emails that gets forwarded to everyone. I have no idea if this would work or not but wonder if anyone else had tried it or checked it out to see if it has any validity.

I did after posting this check it on Snopes and Truth or Fiction and found it is a hoax started back in 2007. it also says it could dangerous for young children because of camphor ingredient in Vicks. This is another example of why we need to be careful of alternative health procedures that are hyped by internet or endorsed by friends which could be dangerous.

VICKS VapoRub - INTERESTING

During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils.

Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks VapoRub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why.

To stop night time coughing in an adult as we found out personally, put Vicks VapoRub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time. More effective than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemicals in them. This method of using Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bed time. In addition it seems to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%
    !! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes. So she went from every few seconds uncontrollable coughing, she slept cough-free for hours every night she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be amazed at how it works.

DON'T SHUN THIS ONE..

TRY IT THE NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH.

THE ONLY THING YOU CAN LOSE IS YOUR COUGH.
    Last edited by drz; 03-03-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom gave me an article she found in a local paper about putting Vicks on the soles of the feet. She also heard it on the radio. I have not yet needed to try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot use it because I am allergic to Vicks or the menthol, however, I did put it on my kids feet when they were younger, as does nearly everyone I know.
    My kids even put it on their own feet, when they remember, and they are now in their 20's.

Another person I know, advised a lady just a couple of days ago, to put it on the soles of her feet to stop her coughing at night time - it worked for her.

I can't believe that it is a hoax since we have been doing it for many many years.

It does work to keep the cough at bay, on your children at night time - but only at night time.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I heard about this some time ago but never tried it. Will go look for the vicks and give it a shot as my cough has been bugging me again today
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never used it myself but family members have commented on using it on themselves.kids etc. and say it really works. Surprised to hear it is on that site.

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I smeared it on the soles of both feet last night and put on some socks (lol still wearing them) and I do think the coughing was less. Hard to tell after one attempt as it is not as severe every night. I also did a nasal rinse before going to bed. Will keep it up for a few days and see how I go. So far ... seems like it's good Inge
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when I was a child my parents would put it on our chest or throat and wrap a big sock around our neck to help us breathe better. The thing was they always had to fasten the sock with a safety pin and I was always afraid the pin would unsnapped in the middle of the night and jab my neck !!!! It does help the breathing that way though. Never tried it on my feet either.Let us know how that works for you Inge.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that Vicks doesn't recommend it be used on feet. They could sell a lot more of it if they did but they must be concerned about their credibility or law suits if it is dangerous for children if used in this manner. It might not be safe for us adult Weggies either.

I too had Vicks used on me as a child but haven't used any for decades now.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I read that Vicks doesn't recommend it be used on feet. They could sell a lot more of it if they did but they must be concerned about their credibility or law suits if it is dangerous for children if used in this manner. It might not be safe for us adult Weggies either.I too had Vicks used on me as a child but haven't used any for decades now.
    Thanks drz but I think I am going to risk it. I can hardly assume a product you inhale or lather your chest and back with can cause anywhere near the side effects when put on your feet all the toxic junk I am swallowing right now can which comes with pages of known side effects lol.

So ... reporting back after night 2 ... I slept the most I have in ages. So the coughing must have been a lot better. I will continue even if just for a week or so to get some decent sleep. Despite the Melatonin I wake up ever 30 to 40 minutes each night with either coughing fits or running to the loo but usually coughing fits that make me need to run to the loo. Then all day it's hard to keep my eyes open and I doze here and there.

Sometimes these companies don't want to spend the money on research to find out what their product does used in another way and maybe they think it sounds simply too weird putting it on the soles of the feet. That's what I thought when I first heard it but did a fair bit of googling and found it is quite common knowledge. Maybe they are ULTRA ULTRA conventional like my Rheumatologist told me when I tried to explain a medication I had been taking was shown to have organ protecting properties I just wanted him to keep an open mind in case now that I am off that stuff my organs start getting attacked by the Wegener's. Or I should say my vital organs as I have enough damage already in the NOT SO vital stuff like the entire gastrointestinal area the eyes the knows the mouth and the feet (neuropathy).
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The law suits was the fact the children wont keep socks on their feet or they come off during the night.......then they will slip on the floor.
    I'm not sure it was because of the vicks itself being on your feet instead of your chest.

My kids can vouch that it works.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast