Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Smoking

I wondered how many other Wegener patients grew up in a household that had smokers (my mother smoked while pregnant). Both of my parents did. Later on after I got married my mother-in-law did (non-filtered). So I have been around smokers almost all my life (58 years). I can't help but wonder if this might be a cause of this disease. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here Meredith although I also smoked for 38 years and was brought up by a smoker for 18 years. I actually was floored by diagnosis as I was sure it was lung cancer. I also worked around asbestos and different materials. I don't think smoking has caused my WG. It did cause my COPD though. There are a lot of folks here that never smoked a cigarette in their lives. I have a friend who never was around smokers and has lung cancer. Who knew? By the way I am now a former smoker.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Meredith and Renidrag....I have been waiting for someone else to bring this subject up. I have been a smoker on and off since I was 19. I was never a "pack a day" smoker, but that doesnt matter. I smoked when I had a beer or was around others that smoked. When I was diagnosed, I thought I had "Aids" (my husband at the time was in a band that traveled, and he was promiscuous, so I felt for sure thats what I had) And when they said I had many lung tumors thats another thing I thought....Lung cancer. Needless to say, I had neither. I quit smoking of course! And had divorced my "band" husband. I remarried, and did not smoke for over a year! Then, as my Wegeners began to get better, and I got used to things, I picked it up as an occasional "closet smoker". How stupid is that? My Stepdaughter saw me smoking once, and she got soooo mad! She said something that was so profound.......She said "You have a LUNG DISEASE and your smoking?!?!" I wanted to crawl under a rock! But did that stop me? Nope! I did not smoke a lot, it could be weeks go by, and no smoking. I never bought them. I was a cigarette "bum". Its been a long hard journey trying to stop for good. Now is the closest I have ever been. I decided if I passed away, I did not want to go by a disease I gave myself!!! I have beat this disease for 23 years and I dont want to die of lung cancer! Things have been written about some people who have a more difficult time kicking the habit because it is a heritary gene. My mothers Mother smoked since she was 14. she is 91, does not have cancer, but has COPD, and emphazema. She did not quit until she GOT emphazema, and that was in her 80's. I think everyone in my family, including my parents, have smoked in their youth, and quit in their 20's & 30's. None got cancer, but for some reason it is so hard for me to put them down completely! I have not smoked for months now, but on occasion, I will bum one and smoke about half of it, it tastes disgusting, and I dont even know why I am so drawn to them! My mom said she went through the same thing, and when she finally quit for good, she actually dreams about smoking sometimes! So, this was an issue that I am not proud of, Im very very ashamed that I even smoked at all after I got Wegeners. But now, my sister and I have both quit, and like I said, its been months. A couple of cheats, but sharing this is very embarassing. But everyone is so open on this site, so I hope yall dont think less of me. Thanks for listening my friends.....
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents both smoked while I was growing up and as far as I know my mom smoked while pregnant with my sister and me. I actually smoked for 19 years total but took a six year break to have kids. I finally quit when I was 40 years old. I always coughed a lot and with hindsight this was probably the wegs in my lungs planting new little nodules. But then by the time I got a CT they were considered cavitated and not active. I always thought my coughing was due to the smoking. What in the world was I thinking to smoke with a lung disease, I don't know. At least I finally quit and now I have no cough. That is so nice.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have dabbled in the occasional smoking jags when a lot, lot younger. I never even enjoyed it very much, like some people do. So I don't know why I did it. If I got emotionally upset about something, I'd go out and buy a pack, or I'd smoke with others while drinking etc. It used to be more prevalent and less of a stigma than it is now. My dad was a doctor, but he smoked with cocktails, and eventually gave it up without much trouble. My stepmom is a retired nurse and has smoked all her life and is now 80. She did quit for some months or maybe even years and then started up again. I understand that it holds a real allure for some people, that they really enjoy it, unlike my experience. I am thankful that I never, ever have any urge to smoke, as of the last 25 years or so, no matter how upset I get or how much I'm around others who do it. It makes me kind of sick to think about it. As for whether it could be a factor in getting Wegs, I can't draw the conclusion that it either is or isn't.... I suppose it could contribute to the overall conditions that promote a triggering of the disease, but without being a direct cause.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another group I was in ( I can't remember where, maybe yahoo groups) did a survey, and the results were weggies were mostly non-smokers or had given up the cigs a long time before diagnosis. It was uncanny how few were smokers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never smoked but lived with and have been around smokers my whole life.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never lived with a smoker, never worked in a smoke environment, never even tried smoking (Yes really!!)
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    Never lived with a smoker, never worked in a smoke environment, never even tried smoking (Yes really!!)
    I'll never really understand why ANYONE ever tries smoking, including myself! Especially now that we know how harmful it is.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never tried smoking. it is disgusting for me. I didnt live with smoking people.
    BUT in the years before the onset of my WG I was working in an environment of smokers. no matter how hard I was fighting them not to smoke near me, still, I was coming home from work smelling from cig... yikes
    maybe being exposed to smmoking, made us vulnerable ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast