Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do You Take A Diuretic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do You Take A Diuretic?

This is in order to counter any water-weight gain (may have asked this before).
    Saw my kidney doc recently and totally forgot to ask him, although he has told me in the past to not take one - never asked why though.

He has reduced my pred to 5mg and my Imuran to 25mg. I will go for lab in 3 mos to see if readings are still okay. Sort of hate waiting that long.

Hope everyone is good.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I sort of do, via my blood pressure tablets.

I don't intentionally take a straight out diuretic but I presume it is inside my pb tablet because I am only taking my tablet for my kidneys
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David,
    allways nice to see you around
    I don't have an answer to your question since I don't have kidney's involvement.
    I just wanted to say couple of things: don't eat food with salt. take craneberries in capsules, it helps. do your labs once a month. 3 months sounds too long, especially if you are reducing your meds now.
    and... come here more often.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Lasix for blood pressure & I've never lost weight on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For about a year after I was diagnosed, I was taking three BP meds: HCTZ (a diuretic), enalapril, and toprol xl. When I had a flare/pneumonia/bad reaction to immuran about a year after dx, my BP was very low (60/40), which probably helped explain the crushing fatigue. My PCP suggested reducing BP meds to raise my BP. Over the course of the next year, got off all BP meds. BP is now pretty normal at 125/75. Continue taking Flomax for urinary symptoms (reduces urgency and frequency for me).
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is everyone relating blood pressure meds w/ diuretics - is it the bp med that causes water-weight gain? Sounds like for some that a diuretic is "built in" to their bp med?? Don't understand how it works. Gonna phone my doc's nurse and ask her to relay this question to him...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I understand is that high blood pressure is very dangerous for the kidneys and therefore, in some bp medications, a diuretic is built in to prevent kidney damage.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    Why is everyone relating blood pressure meds w/ diuretics - is it the bp med that causes water-weight gain? Sounds like for some that a diuretic is "built in" to their bp med?? Don't understand how it works. Gonna phone my doc's nurse and ask her to relay this question to him...
    Tobey some blood pressure meds have a diuretic with them. The diuretic helps the blood pressure med to work more effectively by removing some of the excess fluid from the body. Not all blood pressure meds have a diuretic. Unless you have a medical need for a diuretic I doubt your doctor will prescribe one as they can be hard on the kidneys.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hubby was just prescribed a diuretic due to excess fluid building up, his eyes especially. I'll let you know if it helps.
    - You can judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them.