Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Nasal discharge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is very impressive, Mike. You have done a great job. I can only hope my sinuses aren't in as a bad a shape as yours were. I'm glad someone steered you in the right direction with the copious saline rinses. I've been told to rinse but nothing like that. It was also suggested by the ENT, but I wouldn't say emphatically, that I go in every couple months for a cleaning, which I haven't done, because I thought I was getting enough out by multiple rinsings. I think my current problem is blocked sinuses, partially from seasonal tree pollen allergies. The swelling and lack of drainage causes dizziness and vertigo. I have no pain and never have, to speak of. I see the WG doc tomorrow about the CT scan and the ENT next week. I'm also on extra pred to reduce the increased inflammation that showed up in my bloodwork.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that's quite a lot but good to hear you can't overdo it. I think you should post a Youtube video showing how you go about it with the different attachments. bit difficult to picture it all from the narrative

Sounds like you are achieving great things though so keep it up. I need to increase mine. I am managing once a day and probably not even quite 2 litres. I have had so many medical appointments and discovered that each day I can only cope with one thing on the schedule or I am totally stuffed. Yesterday I had a 10.00 am appointment with the Psychiatrist then a 1pm appointment with the dentist so in-between we managed lunch at the hospital cafe as I had to take the pred. By the time I got home I was totally exhausted and fell into bed. So in future can't manage more than 1 appointment on any given day I keep thinking I am up to it but my energy levels are low. And to boot I am so fast when I move around due to this racyness from the pred that I exhaust myself even doing small jobs around the house.

This morning I finally got around to taking down our christmas tree (yes don't laugh... nearly easter). It took me only 30 minutes but I was soaked through with sweat. Had to turn on the aircon and been sitting like a zombie in my recliner chair for the last hour trying to get enough energy to make lunch

Mind you I may have been heading for a hypo as well. Ate a piece of carrot cake and the sweating is easing.

So I think 2 times a day doing sinus rinse would mean that's all I manage lol.
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    That is very impressive, Mike. You have done a great job. I can only hope my sinuses aren't in as a bad a shape as yours were. I'm glad someone steered you in the right direction with the copious saline rinses. I've been told to rinse but nothing like that. It was also suggested by the ENT, but I wouldn't say emphatically, that I go in every couple months for a cleaning, which I haven't done, because I thought I was getting enough out by multiple rinsings. I think my current problem is blocked sinuses, partially from seasonal tree pollen allergies. The swelling and lack of drainage causes dizziness and vertigo. I have no pain and never have, to speak of. I see the WG doc tomorrow about the CT scan and the ENT next week. I'm also on extra pred to reduce the increased inflammation that showed up in my bloodwork.
    I really think that you would benefit from rinsing more. I think too that my technique of pinching the nostril that the water is not going in and holding in the rinse for a half a minute before blowing it out, would get some into the sinuses and relieve blockages. My crutsts used to block me up after a day, even with aggressive rinsing. Now that I have been holding in the saline and flooding the lower sinuses, they are doing so much better.

I am a strong believer that aggressive sinus rinsing is the only thing that can beat the sinus problems associated with this disease. I've shown improvements in the past few months.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Mike. I have been rinsing a lot lately, but I think my sinus tissues have actually been extra inflamed, whether from Wegs, allergies, an infection, or all three, and that whatever is in them is simply blocked from getting out. I do manage to get some stuff out of the nasal cavity, but not a lot. There just doesn't seem to be much in there, and what there is is not really crusty. The added prednisone is loosening up the tight feeling in my head, and things have improved; I seem to feel worse or better on alternate days. The pollen count here is extremely high right now, and I am sure that is part of my problem and am still arguing with my WG doc about that. Tomorrow is the day I'll get the ENT's view on all this and see whether he will back me up on the allergies. I think he will, and will prescribe me some things and/or suggest that I start up allergy shots again, plus interpret the recent CT sinus scan maybe a little differently than what I've heard so far. I've held back on info about that for a reason... I wanted to hear his point of view before sharing what was said before, because I have reason to think it may be different. I am continuing to do lots of sinus rinses whether they are productive or not, inhaling steam or doing ice packs ahead of time, pinching off one nostril, trying all kinds of things including the baby shampoo with some success. Things aren't resolved yet, but I hope to be able to tell you a lot more after talking to the ENT tomorrow.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you have a good appointment Anne! My rheumatologist was proactive in wanting me to see an allergist to help with seasonal and possibly indoor allergies. She says it is important to keep the nasal passages clear and the inflammation down. Allergies are such a nuisance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lag713 View Post
    I hope you have a good appointment Anne! My rheumatologist was proactive in wanting me to see an allergist to help with seasonal and possibly indoor allergies. She says it is important to keep the nasal passages clear and the inflammation down. Allergies are such a nuisance!
    Thanks! My appointment revealed some strange stuff... I had a response here but have moved it to a new thread called "Disappearing Sinuses". Replies from Dale and Cindy above were to that content.
    Last edited by annekat; 04-17-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know it I should congratulate you or what? I like the part about not ever having sinus issues for life but at the same time I would really like to know where they went. Glad you are seeing WG doc soon and hope your numbers are ok.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Anne, it all sounds so confusing. I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this. Hopefully you can get some clarification. With me I've learned I need things in "smaller bites". I process that better than a lot of data all at once. That's just me. I hope you get it all figured out in time. Hugs to you.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx, Cindy... I've moved the discussion to a new thread entitled "Disappearing Sinuses". You are right about the "small bites".
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renidrag View Post
    I don't know it I should congratulate you or what? I like the part about not ever having sinus issues for life but at the same time I would really like to know where they went. Glad you are seeing WG doc soon and hope your numbers are ok.
    Dale
    My reply to this is now on another thread called "Disappearing Sinuses", and Cindy's reply above is also to that moved content.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567