Thread: Nasal discharge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hospitals are not very good at handling chronic conditions. They are great for fixing an acute crisis and their main aim is to get people up and about and out the door as far as I can tell. It's useless coming in with herbal treatments or vitamins or anything else that improves your general health. I found this also when my mother who was on something like 30 plus meds including supplements was hospitalised. I ended up with a separate list of prescription drugs she HAD to take and we left home anything she may be able to do without for a few days. Also the diets are not really geared to help in the long term. I guess its more crisis control. So I have learnt to hang in there and try and fit in as best as possible then get back into the healthy options on discharge. This time it's a bit tricky because I am here for four weeks already.
    One example is at home I always include some raw salad type of food lunch and dinner times. Because of my tongue ulcer I can't eat the salads here and they are giving me mashed veggies which I am very grateful for. However the other day I suggested they take the salad and vitamise it so I could drink it like a bit of a juice. They can't accommodate such an option. They are only allowed to vitamise cooked food. Then I figured maybe raw veggie juice once a day would be another option. That too is off the menu even though this hospital has one of the most extensive menus I have come across. As far as cooked food goes I can get a huge number of sloppy soft options. But I was beginning to worry about lack of vitamins. the only raw food I get is bananas so am eating those 2 or 3 times a day. As I can manage to squash those on my other side of the mouth without upsetting the ulcer.
    They are probably concerned about food poisoning. Cooking makes food safer from that perspective.
    So the only options are to find relatives /friends who could bring in the other things you can't order and that is not always possible or convenient.
    Anyway hopefully i will be home again next week
    As far as charging goes that is not an issue here. I am luckily still insured for private care and so I get all medications included and covered by my health insurance for which I pay a small fortune every month. The time will come when I won't be able to afford that and then I guess I would be sticking to public hospitals where things are even more restrictive.
    But ... as I mentioned above... they are very good at keeping you alive in a crisis Inge
    Last edited by ingemlb; 02-16-2014 at 03:35 PM.