Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasal discharge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I have gotten lazy and don't rinse as much as I should. There is less stuff in there than there used to be, but that's no excuse to be lazy. If I had a Water Pik I think it would be enough easier and less tedious that I would do better, plus I'd find out what is really in there that I didn't know about.
    I have an electric Grossan hydro Pulse machine with attachments for nasal and tongue use but seldom use it as the ole squeeze bottle seems easier and quicker to use. I only use the machine when I feel some heavy stuff in still stuck inside and it needs more volume or pressure to dislodge. I buy the sea salt and soda separately and mix it as three to one to get right balance which is about same as commercial packets. So I would say the machine are not easier or quicker unless you are needing to run through several bottles of rinse at one time.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    I use this Waterpik with this attachment (first one on the page. It gives the Waterpik and Interplak models that it fits in the description)

I started my Waterpiking journey with this device, and fried it by overflowing the basin and shorting it out. So in desperation, I looked for a Waterpik locally and found that my tips from the SinuPulse fit a Waterpik I could buy locally for $49.00.

Lately, I just bought my same model at a thrift store for $3.00. I sanitized it with white vinegar and I now have a good, usable spare should this one burn up or wear out. (I'm still running 3 liters 2 times a day through my sinuses to keep them healthy.)
    s
    Was waiting until I get out of hospital to search for something in Australia that doesn't quite break the bank. Did you find the original Sinupulse elite a good system before you fried it? Or are the dental ones better?
    "Slow and Steady wins the Race"
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ingemlb View Post
    s
    Was waiting until I get out of hospital to search for something in Australia that doesn't quite break the bank. Did you find the original Sinupulse elite a good system before you fried it? Or are the dental ones better?
    Funny you ask that, as I was going to add that I think the SinuPulse did have a little more power and volume of water. I bought the Waterpik because I could get it locally and immediately, and the tips from the SinuPulse fit it. If i hadn't fried the other one in the middle of a bad flare up, I guess I would have ordered another SinuPulse machine. If I ever do, I think I will drape it in plastic wrap with a cut out where the water basin meets the base. That should protect it more from pitcher filling accidents. (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mike I may have found a 2nd hand one so will see how that works. Comes with all the attachments. I was having trouble finding an outlet in Australia.
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mike I may have found a 2nd hand one so will see how that works. Comes with all the attachments. I was having trouble finding an outlet in Australia.
    Great, just remember to give it a good cleaning with vinegar or something and then rinse thoroughly before you use it. You don't want vinegar in the sinuses. If you want to use soap, use Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo. That doesn't hurt your sinuses.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike. I followed the instructions for sanitising the machine with a bleach and water solution.
    The unit I bought (was told it had only been used 3 times on a 3 year old) is called Sinupulse Elite Model SP100. Comes with 2 attachments for the nose and 2 for the throat and tongue.

Then I rinsed it all with clear water then tried it out.
    The people who sold it to me bought it in the US and also sent along a power step-down gadget as we have different voltage here.

I used the cleansing tip rather than the mist tip. they suggested a strength between 4 and 6 and I found I had it on top strength but it was not being EJECTED out as I had expected? Just a steady stream. I think I used more force with the plastic bottles. I was wondering if the gentle flow that even the top strength gives is actually strong enough.

Nothing other than clear water came out this time. However I have been on Bactrim DS for 3 days now so maybe that is fixing the sinus inflammation. I will try the manual system again in the morning and if it clears up more then I would have to question if the machine is working properly

It looks brand new. Would like to hear what others have experienced with these machines.
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok had a look at a youtube video and that shows same gentle flow as my machine. And looks like it is meant to be fairly gentle so maybe I just need to use 2 tanks and run it longer. Will try that tomorrow.
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok had a look at a youtube video and that shows same gentle flow as my machine. And looks like it is meant to be fairly gentle so maybe I just need to use 2 tanks and run it longer. Will try that tomorrow.
    You beat me to the response Inge! (-8 Yes, it will take more volume of saline to do the same thing as the squeeze bottle. I run mine wide open all the time, on highest setting. If there are large chunks/crusts, you will feel them come loose and then you just have to blow them out.

I run 2-3 liters of saline through a couple times a day to keep my nose and sinuses clean and opened up. Mix the saline in a larger pitcher, and use 1 teaspoon of pickling or canning salt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per liter of filtered/distilled water. Supposedly, sea salt is not good for this because of the impurities in the salt, and with this wonderful disease, the last thing we need is another impurity in the sinuses, right? Mixing your own is significantly cheaper than the packets that they sell for the machine.

It may take a little time to get used to the difference, but with the increased water flow through your nose and sinus, it will eventually start to work. Just give it a little time.

Once you are used to the machine, try my trick of holding one nostril closed and gently filling up the sinuses (lowest setting on the dial). You will feel the trickle of saline in the back of your throat; that's when you are going to want to stop. Let the solution soak in there a for 30-45 seconds and then give a good blow out. I do this 5-6 times every time I "run my nose."

Keep at it my young apprentice! Your's truly, Obi-Schnoz (-8 LOL!!
    MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Mike. Thanks for the instructions Obi-Wan.

I will definitely persevere. Sounds like volume of water will do it. Thanks for the recipe for making your own saline. Currently I still have tonnes of the shop bought stuff but once it runs out will do what you suggest.

Will have to see what pickling or canning salt is here. Never come across it before but then I haven't been into canning
    All the best, Inge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used thre rinses and they helped alot. I cant anymore as I have lost 30% of my sinus cavity now I use flonase spray and it helps to dislodge the junk

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast