Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasal discharge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hospitals are not very good at handling chronic conditions. They are great for fixing an acute crisis and their main aim is to get people up and about and out the door as far as I can tell. It's useless coming in with herbal treatments or vitamins or anything else that improves your general health. I found this also when my mother who was on something like 30 plus meds including supplements was hospitalised. I ended up with a separate list of prescription drugs she HAD to take and we left home anything she may be able to do without for a few days. Also the diets are not really geared to help in the long term. I guess its more crisis control. So I have learnt to hang in there and try and fit in as best as possible then get back into the healthy options on discharge. This time it's a bit tricky because I am here for four weeks already.
    One example is at home I always include some raw salad type of food lunch and dinner times. Because of my tongue ulcer I can't eat the salads here and they are giving me mashed veggies which I am very grateful for. However the other day I suggested they take the salad and vitamise it so I could drink it like a bit of a juice. They can't accommodate such an option. They are only allowed to vitamise cooked food. Then I figured maybe raw veggie juice once a day would be another option. That too is off the menu even though this hospital has one of the most extensive menus I have come across. As far as cooked food goes I can get a huge number of sloppy soft options. But I was beginning to worry about lack of vitamins. the only raw food I get is bananas so am eating those 2 or 3 times a day. As I can manage to squash those on my other side of the mouth without upsetting the ulcer.
    They are probably concerned about food poisoning. Cooking makes food safer from that perspective.
    So the only options are to find relatives /friends who could bring in the other things you can't order and that is not always possible or convenient.
    Anyway hopefully i will be home again next week
    As far as charging goes that is not an issue here. I am luckily still insured for private care and so I get all medications included and covered by my health insurance for which I pay a small fortune every month. The time will come when I won't be able to afford that and then I guess I would be sticking to public hospitals where things are even more restrictive.
    But ... as I mentioned above... they are very good at keeping you alive in a crisis Inge
    Last edited by ingemlb; 02-16-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the risk of sending some of you into an apocalyptic fit I just use warm tap water here at home. I know that some places don't have quality water and I have no idea of the quality here, but it doesn't burn, unless I use two packets of the solution. Then it's a bit dicey.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL well I am a bit over zealous at avoiding potential infections due to my rather limping along immune system. No idea how our water would measure up. Apart from the fluoride taste it seems pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figure the chlorine substitute they use must kill something. Besides I like living on the wild side. LOL
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by windchime View Post
    At the risk of sending some of you into an apocalyptic fit I just use warm tap water here at home. I know that some places don't have quality water and I have no idea of the quality here, but it doesn't burn, unless I use two packets of the solution. Then it's a bit dicey.
    I know some on here would disapprove, but I have used tap water and currently use pressurized natural artesian spring water from the area I live in, which is tested regularly by the city or county authorities at the well where many people collect it. I am no longer using my own tap water because it is from a shallow well, unless I boil it first, and then I don't worry about it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cindy, you are such a wild child......
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default boiled water not distilled water

Hello Yes the rinses are just so good as they helped me remove the crusting down the back of my throat. I know this sounds disgusting but we're all Weggies or their families here so it's OK. I was able to draw the rinse water back down my throat to slough off the crusting. A yucky technique but it worked. You need boiled water not distilled water tokill any bacteria. . What I did to get the EXACT same temperature all the time was to keep boiled water in the fridge in a glass wine bottle, then boil the kettle. So I had it worked out on the squeeze bottle exactly where to fill it to with the cold water and added the boileld water to get the perfect temperature. Regards Carol Lakes Entrance Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Carol. Not sure I follow your technique. I squeeze the water up one nostril and it comes out of my mouth and the other nostril. Are you saying you swallow it or gargle it?
    In any case I have not coughed up any crusting and I sure hope there is nothing gathering in that area. I did cough up a bit of blood the other day which we thought came from the sinus's. But that was a once off after blowing out a very large scab from the nose followed by a heap of fresh blood. I then lay down so that's probably how the blood came down via the post nasal drip. last couple of days I tend to start coughing as soon as I start trying to sleep or these coughing spasms wake me up. Well my prednisolone was increased to 40mg today so I am looking forward to finding out that this is going to fix everything
    Regards, Inge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all connected, so crusts from the nasal cavity can end up in the back of the throat to be coughed up from there. When rinsing, some of the solution ends up back there so I can imagine sort of snuffling it to loosen it up. I've worked out some techniques such as pulsating or very briefly blocking one nostril to increase the pressure and loosen the stuff up. With the latter, being careful and making it very brief is important. We don't want to force the solution into our eustachian tubes, so if that seems to happen, I would not do this.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ingemlb View Post
    Hi Carol. Not sure I follow your technique. I squeeze the water up one nostril and it comes out of my mouth and the other nostril. Are you saying you swallow it or gargle it?
    In any case I have not coughed up any crusting and I sure hope there is nothing gathering in that area. I did cough up a bit of blood the other day which we thought came from the sinus's. But that was a once off after blowing out a very large scab from the nose followed by a heap of fresh blood. I then lay down so that's probably how the blood came down via the post nasal drip. last couple of days I tend to start coughing as soon as I start trying to sleep or these coughing spasms wake me up. Well my prednisolone was increased to 40mg today so I am looking forward to finding out that this is going to fix everything
    Regards, Inge.
    The instructions in the squeeze bottles usually tell you that if you can to sniff a little of the solution while rinsing so it cleans out the passages from sinus to throat. I wouldn't swallow if you can help it. One way to keep the stuff from running down the throat is to breath out through your mouth, moan, hum, something like that to close the palate. This works for me to keep the stuff going out the nose, and not down the throat at the same time.

Something I've been doing lately is GENTLY squeezing the bottle with the other nostril plugged up to fill the sinuses up with the saline. Stop when you feel it starting to press on the back of the throat. Hold the water in there for a few seconds and then blow it out. This fills up the sinuses and gets better moisture into all the nooks and crannies. My staff infections is getting progressively better doing this with my antibiotic rinse too. The crusts are getting better, coming out better and my nose just feels better since I am getting, and keeping, all the sinuses moist. My ENT strongly approved of the method too.

If you are going to try this, REMEMBER, GO GENTLY on the squeeze of the saline bottle--you do not want to flood the ears!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast