Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Security Disability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Social Security Disability

Is there anyone that is not on dialysis that has been approved to receive Full or Part Time Social Security Benefits for Wegener's Disease?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was denied. The letter said sorry that you have wegeners but you will be better in less than a year. HA ! I might try to reapply. I understand it takes persistence! My daughter who has lupus ended up hiring an attorney. By coincidence she was finally approved the day she was to begin dialysis. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no problem getting it, even though I don't have a severe case compared to some others. But I think I was lucky and that was unusual. My age, 58 at the time, may have been a factor, plus the fact I was making very little money at my self-employed business, which made it look like I was having trouble working, which I was. It may be also influenced by where you live and who happens to be working on your case and making the decision. I remember hearing, around the time I was approved in 2011, or not long after, that vasculitis has gained some new level of recognition as a disease worthy of granting the benefits for. It is all very complicated, but I'd encourage you to go ahead and reapply. Yes, you might have to hire an attorney, though I did not.
    Last edited by annekat; 02-12-2014 at 04:20 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also had no problem getting SSDI however, my private issuance company hired out to get the approval. Was reinvestigated this past year and private insurance company re-upped me. Age 60 at the time.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was denied said I was still working which the application clearly stated I was not. Hired an atty. Waiting now. The atty gets 25% of any back pay I get so there is no money out of pocket. If they can't get me approved there is no fee. It's worth it especially when dealing with the ups and downs of this disease. I didn't want to hire an atty, but just don't have the energy to fight it at this time. I'll keep you posted.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 65, and a teacher. I cannot get disability from Social Security because of my age and haven't paid into it for 10 years. I am presently applying for disability from teaching. I have been off work this whole school yr. as I was diagnosed with WG at the beginning of the school year. Lucky I had 80 sick days accrued was given 30 days emergency leave. I don't know how the disability works with teachers, surly hope they approve it. Hate all the paperwork. My wife can retire in 3 yr. but because we have my insurance through her work she will not be able to, as I will no longer have insurance with her company, and I cannot afford insurance without her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Medicare and supplements...that reduced our costs immensely.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lilly had to get a attorney. At first she applied herself, but an individual, at least us, did not have an idea of what to emphasize, how to say things, etc.
    At the time she had just had a knee transplant, and the response said that as soon as she healed from that, she would be able to get a job. It is very hard to explain the health probs of WG, even for the lawyer, but he listened to her and understood to a degree. We are now finding out that what she said, that she could not work full time and then nothing but sitting, was as true as we thought. Her 1/2 time job 4 days a week has been OK, if she paces herself. The attorney was the key. There canbe no better deal than him taking his fee out of first payment(s), and nothing if she did not get disability. It has been a life-saver for her. Please, anyone reading this, don't minimize your disease and rationalize that you don't need help. Unless you can work full time and in a job that requires consistent energy, a sharp mind not fogged by any pain killers, and an uncertain physical health future, don't hesitate to get disability. And let someone help you who knows the ropes. Sorry for going on, but I feel real strongly about this. So many people think they can just fill out paperwork and get it. Not likely.

"If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies."

Preferences

§
    -
    =
    Backspace

Tab
    q
    w
    e
    r
    t
    y
    u
    i
    o
    p
    [
    ]

Return

capslock
    a
    s
    d
    f
    g
    h
    j
    k
    l
    ;
    '
    \

shift
    `
    z
    x
    c
    v
    b
    n
    m
    /
    shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences
    Be gentle with yourself, you are doing the best you can ~ LillysMom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John SSD turns into regular SS at age 65. You should now be eligible for Medicare and shouldn't hesitate to apply. Also even though you hadn't paid into SS for 10 years if you had so many quarters (I think 10 or 12) at any time during your life that should have been enough. Now at 65 your SS is about the same as SSD is if you didn't take it at 62.

Lilly's Mom I agree totally with the attorney. They can also push things through faster. Mine filed the appeal and went directly to requesting a hearing with an administrative Law Judge leaving the SSA out of it. Hopefully it will get pushed through quickly. I'm lucky that I'm currently on short term disability and that will change to long term disability in April. Still only 50% of my pay. *sigh* If SSD goes through my employer will not let me collect both unlike other employers. They will make up the difference between the two if the LTD is more than the SSD.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no problem getting mine but I used to work for S.S. and workman comp lawyers so I knew a little about it. But you need to refile within 30 days.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast