Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Security Disability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an idea: Look over this thread that I have been following: http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...html#post89471 , and print up some of the pages that discuss working while having WG, and when to stop. There are examples of people whose work performance suffered, whose remission was delayed, whose recovery was quicker after they stopped working, and whose doctor suggested they stop working. These might be very helpful at your hearing, if you will share them with your lawyer and hopefully get the hearing judge to read them, too. Good luck!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just starting to receive SS disability. Had to get a lawyer and won the case. First they said no mostly due to my age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you how I got SSD and Medicare And B it's worth it. I am 43 and finally made it. Took a while and they also had to pay 3 yrs back pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked in the insurance industry for many years and had peripheral exposure to SSD cases. From what I saw, the benefits determination process is very arbitrary. Some people with relatively mild impairments get approved on the first shot, while others who seem obviously permanently disabled are denied and have to go through the appeals process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I suspected, Tom. I consider myself lucky to have gotten it on the first shot and wish it was that easy for everyone who needs it. My age, 59 at the time, must have had a lot to do with it.
    Last edited by annekat; 09-13-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: corrected age
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am already on disability for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). But I do have a friend that has Wegener's and he is on disability. I know it takes time... I was talking to others when I was applying for it and they all told me to keep after it... because you are likely to be turned down twice and then go before the Judge and that is when most get approved. That is what did happen to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about to have a hearing in November. I've been out of work over a year. I used my savings. I left my job due to fatigue. It was severe I couldn't do anything. I have joint, muscle pain daily, my sinuses and ears are always blocked. Some days I feel like total crap and just want to sleep. Other days I feel ok. I'm hoping I get approved I'm scared of having to try and hold a full time job.

😃 victoria
    Live well.
    Victoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having quit your job due to fatigue and using up your savings should be in your favor. Good luck, and if you win, I hope you'll get a good chunk of retroactive benefits to replenish your savings.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to get a lawyer, I was denied and appealed and they still said NO! There loss I had to get a lawyer and was approved. They had to pay me 3yrs of back pay. My lawyer stated 90% of people who applies are denied till a lawyer gets involved. I just wanted to start getting paid to pay the bills and do to SS denying me they had to cut a big fat check. I was so happy. Also I didn't have to wait the 18 months for medicare ins. That was also started back when I was approved that they had to pay for the procedures that was already paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the replies. I hope I win, I could certainly use a chunk of money.

😃 victoria
    Live well.
    Victoria

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast