Thread: My Mom now in hospital with full blown Wegeners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Mom now in hospital with full blown Wegeners

Hi -

I just joined this group a week ago with good feedback from several of you - now she has been in the hospital for basically a week - now in critical care, heavily sedated - lungs, sinuses all issues - kidneys producing problems but with the sensitive condition she is in they won't do a biopsy of that area (and since she has a horseshoe kidney on top of that) - doing steroid blasts and then start the Ritux (sp?) infusion.
    Might have to drain the sinuses - and she is a MRSA carrier - I know she wanted to them to do procedures if they were going to help but I'm starting to get worried about that. She never had any event that resulted in loss of oxygen to brain or heart stopping, so those are two pluses.

Anyway, just updating...

NEW UPDATES
    They are trying to get her off of the sedation - she is finally making attempts at waking up and I was there for that today. She made eye contact, physical movement to commands, squeezing hands about 4 different occasions.
    My main concern right now is that if she can't breathe on her own, then a tracheotomy would need to be done after 10 - 14 days on the tube as that long on a ventilator is permanently damaging to the vocal cords.
    The WG has definitely scarred her lung tissues so when she tries to make efforts to cough, it's not a cough that has anything to suction off.
    It's amazing how little they know about this though - even today they were mentioning something about "TB indicators" - at least being armed with more knowledge I can say confidently - "Nope, that's the Wegener's!"
    Last edited by MEustace; 02-13-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi MEustace, Sorry to hear that your Mom ended up being admitted and is in ICU, however, that is probably the best place for her to get the correct and immediate treatment she needs. I sure they will want her stabilized before they attempt any biopsies. As far as being a MRSA carrier my Dad was and my Mom is. Luckily the only thing they got out of it was a private room at the hospital when they had to go. Just extra precautions. Is she in a local hospital or Johns Hopkins? Did her Rheumy admit her or did you end up taking her to the ER. You said that she has issues in her lungs, did they finally do a CT? If you don't feel like answering that's ok I understand. It's a scary time for you and your family. It sounds like your Mom is getting the correct treatment so that is good. My prayers are with all of you and here is a little hug.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is in local hospital - and the staff and care has been terrific.
    The hematologists ended up being the ones to admit her - it was fortunate. She has had her 2nd CT this evening - to check on her sinuses. If further infection there they will have to drain.
    Her lung xrays were pretty bad - the 2nd one showed some clearing from the original - but pretty gray and cloudy.
    Thanks -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad she is in the right place to get the proper care. I'm praying that she pulls through with flying colors.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi MEustace.

I'm so sorry that you mum has been taken in to hospital but I am so glad she is there.

After your post last week, I was really starting to worry about her........she is in the right place now.

It's such a sucky disease, this WG.

Get yourself some rest when you can and I hope, with the infusions, things start to look better quickly
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I am sending my prayers to your mom and your family. stay strong and please update us. we are all with you all the time.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am sorry to hear your mom is so ill right now but it does sound like the drs. are on top of things And you said her lungs looked better than the last time so there's some improvement. And steroids and rtx work wonders.I know its hard and there is nothing you can do but stay strong for her.Keep us posted and try to get some rest.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW I thought I had it bad.
    My prayers and thoughts are with her and you for a great recovery.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi all
    Sad to inform you that MEustace's mother passed away on Tuesday 18 Feb.

Andrew
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lost count of how many Weggies have past away. Well above 50 for sure.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. I hope she didn't suffer too much.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast