Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasal Calcium Spray ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nasal Calcium Spray ??

I went and saw my rheumy that I have here in town in case of emergencies I don't have to go to the Cleveland Clinic. But anyway he wants me to have a bone denisty test done but in the meantime he prescribed me this calcium nasal spray that you use once a day in one nostral and the next day in the other. I don't know the name of it cuz I haven't picked it up yet and don't remeber what he called it. But has anyone ever heard or done this ???? I'm not to keen on this doc anyway,he's just a stand-by !!!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely have the bone density test done. Steroids and probably other meds can cause osteoporosis. At very least you should have a baseline test done. I'm not familiar with the calcium nasal spray so maybe someone else can speak to that. The bone density test is easy and takes less than 15 minutes.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CALCITONIN SPRAY - NASAL (Fortical, Miacalcin) side effects, medical uses, and drug interactions.

Try this link on calcium nasal sprays...this is just one of many brands tho.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a bone density test done as soon as I started pred, to get a base line like Cindy said.

They then follow up with them yearly.

I thought it was a must, to get it done.

Sorry, I haven't heard of a calcium nasal spray
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's it Don, I looked at the paperwork he gave me and that is what he called in to the pharmacy....THX !
    I had a bone density test done about 10 yrs. ago ( pre-wg ) and showed I had osterporosis then but I eat and drink alot of things with calcium and take Vit d-3,so after ready the side effects ,I am going to wait and see what this next test shows. I don't need my nose messed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had bone density test at diagnosis and was told to take supplement with Calcium which I still do, Caltrate I think, with vitamin D. I haven't had another test done, perhaps because I haven't shrunk.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can osteoporosis, or osteopenia, be reversed? I'm not expecting a "yes" answer, but know that the process can be slowed and maybe stopped by supplements and weight bearing exercise. I just don't know that much and maybe others know more.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slowed perhaps but not stopped. My sister has osteoporosis among other ills. When she got married in 1968 she was 5'9" and today she is 5'5" on a good day. It is horrible. Let me say she has had a lot or ailments through her life.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time I had a bone density test, I was found to have osteopenia in a part of my spine, I think in the "buffalo hump" part. This was before I knew I had Wegs or was using prednisone the way I have been for the last 3 years. Apparently the term indicates some loss of bone density, but not enough to call it osteoporosis. I started taking Fosamax after this scan and still do, or am supposed to, though I often forget. I'm not sure how I feel about it. My doc says I should take it but not for longer than 5 years and that if I get down to 5mg. pred I can quit taking it. I take Calcium and Vitamin D3 and I do get weight bearing exercise. I'm just throwing all this out there in case anyone has any response.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I googled that question Anne, and according to the Mayo Clinic there is medicine you can take to prevent it from getting worse and like you said certain exercises but it is not reverseable.
    I got scheduled next week to get the bone denisity test done I hate to see the results after taking this pred for so long but since I have it already how much worse can it get...I'm still the same height so far !! That medicine ( nasal spray ) the doc. called in for me is not covered by my ins. and it cost 80 some dollars sssooooooooooo I'm not getting that one. Calcium tablets seem to upset my stomach so I don't take that but like I said before I "think" I get enough calcium in other ways. We will see next week.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast