Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Face normal at 6mg's - hurrah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have personal experience with that but have heard others talk about it. I'm sure they'll offer help. Are you losing weight as a result?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately no, I still have quite the appetite and as strange as this sounds I can still taste, but it has to be stronger tasting like salty, sweet, etc. I have tried eating more fruit but things like watermelon, or any type of melon is very bland, just like water. Vegetables aren't bad, but then I tend to get into chips, salty nuts. I have always been someone who likes the crunch of food, I find it comforting if I am stressed out so evenings when I can't sleep is pretty much danger zone time for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy, that's gotta be hard. Maybe carrots or celery dipped in homemade dressing? Cucumbers in yogurt/dill sauce? Too much salt is not good when you're on pred. I bet others here will brainstorm much more creative things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That must drive you bananas. I didn't lose my taste but develop cravings like you for salty and spicy food, except my tummy couldn't take it.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The salt cravings are due to adrenal insufficiency caused by pred. Sea salt is a healthy way to feed those adrenals. Just don't overdo it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use sea salt for my soups too
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What time are you serving lunch today?

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy M View Post
    Thats what my Rhuemy said about the high dose of preds. I did start out on methatrexate and that didn't work so now I am on cyclo and the retuxan. Do you or anyone else knows or experienced the loss of smell with this. I have not had the enjoyment of smelling anything for the last 10 months and was wondering what the chances it would come back.
    I experienced it with Cytoxan. I do have more of it back (took Cytoxan last in April 2005, I think it was), but the condition persists. I smell and taste things, just not as fully as before. Anyone who has coffee at my house will understand that's why I make it black-hole-in-space black, and why my use of spices in sweet goodies tends to go off the chart. Some tastes are more detectable than others.
    Last edited by Doug; 09-04-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy M View Post
    Unfortunately no, I still have quite the appetite and as strange as this sounds I can still taste, but it has to be stronger tasting like salty, sweet, etc. I have tried eating more fruit but things like watermelon, or any type of melon is very bland, just like water. Vegetables aren't bad, but then I tend to get into chips, salty nuts. I have always been someone who likes the crunch of food, I find it comforting if I am stressed out so evenings when I can't sleep is pretty much danger zone time for me.
    My experience exactly! Some foods, initially, tasted horrid. Mostly my favorites! I used to use lots of catsup, but foods with vinegar or tomato (Everything I like best! Tomato sauce is in all the good foods, for example.) gagged me. I was like that until I got off Cytoxan, then, graduallhy, I was able to handle them again. I didn't liike them as much, though, because of the memory of vomiting....!
    Last edited by Doug; 09-04-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys long time no see I hope all i well. I Have a quick question my mom is on the roller coaster of her Life cause of the pred. It started at 50 mg and dropped 10 each month when I got to 30 for a week or she got wacky on me she was not abel to speak or make sense. So they upped the dose to 60 mgs this made her very very week to the point where she could not get out of bed. So I talked to the Doc and he dropped it to 20 so we where good for about three days and then the cookooo lady would make an apperance for about 30 min or so then she was back to normal any ways after that episode she has been very disy she can not stand up because she feels she is going to fall is there a med I can give her or any advice? also how should the pred be taken all at once or split night and day? Thanks guys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast