Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just finished my first Rituxan infusion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just finished my first Rituxan infusion

Well, yesterday that is. The appointment was @ 10:30, when they gave me some pills (benedryl, Tylenol, maybe some steroids, I don't have the paperwork in front of me). Wait 1/2 hour or so, and the infusion started about 11:15. Things were going well when about 45 minutes in I started wheezing. Six staff members converged on me, they stopped the infusion, gave me some more benedryl and an albeuterol nebulizer. That took about 1/2 hour, then they started me back on the Rituxan. No problems after that. The wheezing was never really that bad, but it was nice to see how quickly they responded. I've had nebulizer albeuterol before and I did start to feel bad, but that was totally consistent with previous breathing treatments, so I didn't attribute it to the Rituxan. The rest of the treatment went as planned. I finished up around 5 pm.

By the time we left, the weird head from the albeuterol was gone, but I was still tired. And hungry. Somehow I didn't plan on lunch. They had "snacks" but it was really just crappy chips and cookies. Next time I will bring my lunch

Came home and ate. Watched TV until 10 or so. Woke up at 2am full of energy.

I'm doing pretty well today. Made ham & eggs and pancakes for everyone. Hopefully it will stay like this. Next infusion is Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brettgrant99 View Post
    Well, yesterday that is. The appointment was @ 10:30, when they gave me some pills (benedryl, Tylenol, maybe some steroids, I don't have the paperwork in front of me). Wait 1/2 hour or so, and the infusion started about 11:15. Things were going well when about 45 minutes in I started wheezing. Six staff members converged on me, they stopped the infusion, gave me some more benedryl and an albeuterol nebulizer. That took about 1/2 hour, then they started me back on the Rituxan. No problems after that. The wheezing was never really that bad, but it was nice to see how quickly they responded. I've had nebulizer albeuterol before and I did start to feel bad, but that was totally consistent with previous breathing treatments, so I didn't attribute it to the Rituxan. The rest of the treatment went as planned. I finished up around 5 pm.

By the time we left, the weird head from the albeuterol was gone, but I was still tired. And hungry. Somehow I didn't plan on lunch. They had "snacks" but it was really just crappy chips and cookies. Next time I will bring my lunch

Came home and ate. Watched TV until 10 or so. Woke up at 2am full of energy.

I'm doing pretty well today. Made ham & eggs and pancakes for everyone. Hopefully it will stay like this. Next infusion is Friday.
    Glad that it finally went OK. Nebi treatment was a good call on their part. Glad no other complications arose!

With the hunger, probably a combination of the steroids and the lack of lunch. I am so fortunate that the clinic were I received RTX has a cafeteria, and lunch is complementary when there over the lunch hour. Tired feeling is probably from the Benedryl, and 2am wakey, wakey is probably the steroids kicking in full. I had some insomnia after my RTX infusions too. Those will pass. Don't over do it the next few days. It might be a false high from the meds. (-8

I am glad that it went well for you!!!

MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to hear things went well. From what I've read, every further rtx treatment goes more smoothly than the last, so you should fly through the next one
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad things finally went well Brett and that the nursing team were on the ball.

The next ones should be a breeze.

Don't overdo your new found energy levels, just yet.......but enjoy the little bit you have.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For our daughter, since she had a (not uncommon ) reaction during the first rtx, they did the next one superslow. I mean SLOW lol. I just mention this as you plan how much food to pack :-) But I totally agree and did witness that the first rtx is the hardest on the body as far as reactions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHEW... that was a bit scary but ended well. next time make sure that they will not give it to you too quickly.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an infusion today and asked about the wheezing. The first time I got an infusion I felt on the edge of wheezing...anyway they said it's because a great majority of b-cells are housed around your upper airway, and that's why that area can get aggravated.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's interesting Bob, thanks for sharing.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had similar issues with each of my four infusions! I did use my albuterol inhaler and didn't ask about it. Nice catch and thanks for asking the question Bob!!

Mike