Thread: H1N1 Death

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default H1N1 Death

To all,

I lost a friend of mine on Monday to this flu(H1N1), she was only 31. Her mom was also transferred from our local hospital with it just hours after she was sent to OSU. The local hospital had admitted them both for pneumonia and then they both started coughing up blood. They had put her in an induced coma and did a biopsy on her lungs that was Sunday and husband reported that things looked better, but Monday morn they did another procedure and they lost her. Please all of you take great care to protect yourselves from any germs if you are out in the public. We are from a community of about 3500 people and my mom is in that same hospital right now with bronchitis asthma, I can't be with her and I am scared for her, I'm usually the one who deals with mom's illnesses, but I know how dangerous that might be for me. Just wanted to give
    guys prayers and a heads up to be really careful. Be well
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry to hear this Jana. I can feel your fear for sure. I have a few friends in the hospital here with pneumonia. 2 of them are in pretty rough shape.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

3. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jana,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Hopefully her mother is doing ok as well as your mom. Unfortunately we have to make hard choices to protect ourselves. Have you thought of wearing a mask and visiting her? You can get very good ones at Home Depot or Lowes that filter much better than the ones you buy at the drug store.

We have had two deaths from the H1N1 flu in the last two weeks. Both were in their 30's. There are currently 3 on life support in the next county over. One is pregnant, one is 62, the other in their 30's. This is a very virulent flu and it's very important to protect ourselves especially if it is in your area.

Take care Jana and my prayers are with you and your mom.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very sorry to hear this, Jana. It is sobering. I'm assuming she wasn't immune-compromised or anything of that nature. What a shock for you and all her friends and family. I hope both of your moms will come through OK and be back home soon. My prayers go out for her mom, especially, for what this will do to her while being sick herself, and for her dad, siblings, husband, and any kids she may have.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jana,I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.It was just on the news last night how the flu is hitting many states hard. Did you or your mom get the shot ? I feel so bad for her mom,she must be devastated. Is your mom in a private room,you should try to get her home asap. When my mother was just in the hosp ( for something else ) the dr. said it may seem like we are not treating them but the sooner they get home and away from all the sickness in the hosp. the better. My prayers go out to all of you and I hope both moms can come home soon,and you stay well also
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in an area of California known as the Bay Area, it's a cluster of 9 counties. There have been 7 deaths. One of which happened in my county. The death came in after I left work so I didn't hear about it until it was on the news this morning. (All deaths are reported to my office.)
    The death in our county was a young man, who was only 23 and reportedly perfectly healthy. All the deaths in the area have been people under 50. Some with prior medical issues but not all. This scares me greatly, given where I work and the probability that people just come to work sick rather than use their sick time.
    I just heard someone in here scoff at the guy that died, said it's a freak thing and nothing to freak out about.
    Um ... Hello?
    Do you remember me?
    I can't get that flu! I can't. Remember? Do you want me to die?
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I am so very very very sorry that you had to be personally affected by this. My heart goes out to you with your loss. Please stay safe.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been 7 deaths in my province so far. Over 30 in ICU. And almost 700 confirmed cases.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope your mom makes a quick recovery. Hugs, good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki, the people at your work are way too callous. They should not be scoffing at anyone's death. I'm sure they are just trying to reassure themselves that if they get the flu they won't die of it. Yeah, what about you? Are you invisible or something? I'm pretty appalled at their attitude and lack of regard for you. And yes is it scary. I haven't gotten a shot and wasn't going to but am now beginning to wonder. Sheesh.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast