Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member - Central Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New member - Central Wisconsin

63 year old active male 5'6" 140lbs Long distance bicycling is my passion. No medical history. No family doctor.

Winter 2011 - 2012. Dental treatment for an infected tooth shortly after that came pain in ears and coughing attacks upon entering a warm building from outdoor winter activity. Five doctors later. Blown ear drums. Ninety per cent hearing loss. Partial paralysis on left side of face and my nose bleeds and hurts. Enough antibiotics to kill a horse. Can't whistle or close my left eye. Okay, maybe it's not ear infections. Do ya think? Man, I need medical attention. A radiologist I've known for years stopped me in the hospital corridor and diagnosed me on the spot. CT of head and chest. Prednisone and cytoxan infusion for five mouths. Immediate positive results. Never missed a day of work. Back on the bicycle in early April. Retired in July.

Winter 2012 - 2013 no colds or flu. Clear sailing.

Winter 2013 - 2014 motor trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway in October. Returned with a major cold or flu. Started coughing and bloody nose in early December. Ears okay, but left eye is full of broken vessels. Mycophenolat and prednisone. Again, immediate results.

The Radiology and Rheumatology departments at Marshfield Clinic know their business.

Stay clear of infections, colds and flu. Exercise ! Exercise !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome fellow Midwesterner. We are in IL near the WI border. Just joined this forum recently ourselves
    ~Laurie and Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome balma, glad you found us. Sounds very familiar...all the symptoms. And, sounds like your docs are on top of things as best as can be...good on them and you! Exercise is important - Pete has a thread on here about working out in 2014, you may be interested. But, not everyone with WG can exercise like you. I'm retired like you, I have the time and the wavering desire to get healthier, but between WG paranoia, debilitating lethargy, and a sometimes crappy attitude, it's not easy for everyone to get going like you! But, glad you're on here, you can set an example for many of us! There are some on here who have climbed mountains, raced dogsleds, are raising families...and all in the midst of WG. Lots of experience and strong people on here...ask, share, rant if needs be, and always be alert to your body's needs now! Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome Ballma
    you are pointing on something important: that flu/ cold can cause a flare.
    I am glad you are handling all so well. you sound very strong.
    I don't know that med you mention.... I will google it....ok, it is Cellcept. not many here are on it, I wonder about it.... I hate my mtx and can't bear Imuran....
    Last edited by Alysia; 01-02-2014 at 04:46 AM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum, Ballma. You have found a great resource full of great people. Your case sounds so familiar, with the atypical ear infections and such. I had the same, and the hearing loss, but no facial paralysis. It sounds like you respond very well to treatment with the meds. Thank goodness for that sharp radiologist. Sometimes it takes running into the right person. Your case sounds like a good recommendation for the Marshfield Clinic, for anyone who lives in that area. Best to you, and keep joining in on the discussion here!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from another Illinoisan just south of the cheddar curtain! I'm about 20 min southeast of Monroe. If you need a good ENT, Monroe Clinic has one of the best around.

Stay warm this week!

MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work for Judge Crown at Golden Oaks Farm in Wauconda many years ago. A navy boy with too much time on his hands. Small world. Glad to be onboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren grew up at a small horse farm adjacent to Golden Oaks farms He rode horses and camped in the woods. Very small world-wow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captian Al View Post
    Darren grew up at a small horse farm adjacent to Golden Oaks farms He rode horses and camped in the woods. Very small world-wow

Wow you guys - I feel a play date coming on

Welcome to the forum Ballma.

I love your attitude and I'm so glad that things are back to "normal" for you now after the little set back.

I hope that you will keep posting on here and I am certainly looking forward to hearing about the play date (that I have just planned for you all)
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS