User Tag List

Likes Likes:  68
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

I surprised myself today by swimming 1,000 yards non-stop in 27+ minutes. This was only my fourth swim in the past two weeks after not swimming at all since May.

I have also walked 3.5-4 miles most days since mid-August.

I feel really good, but just can’t get rid of the last 10 “pred pounds”. Maybe the ongoing taper off pred will help. I’m three weeks into a planned nine-month process...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

2. Likes Alysia, mishb, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found out lately that all fitness trackers are not alike--nor accurate. I spent money on a Garmin GPS watch and was logging about 2.5 miles a day here on the college campus. I just sold off some old and antique toys and had enough money to finally get an Apple watch. Turns out, my 2.5 miles on the Garmin are 4-5 miles on my Apple watch!!! I believe that the Garmin was only logging outside steps, nothing indoors.

So now when I do 5-6 miles in a day, I have a real reason to be tired when I get home! (-8

I have a new knee coming on December 7th. UPDATE: Surgery postponed to December 21 I hope that it gets me back to my old self again. Living with a knee with no padding in it really stinks. I cannot wait to be out of the chronic pain game!

Oh, and since January 2016, I have lost, and kept off, 60 pounds!!! YEA!!!

Keep moving everyone!!
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 12-09-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

4. Likes bobjannj, drz, Alysia, mishb, seied liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news about the weight loss, @Mike-G!! I hope the knee replacement goes well and your recovery is quick and complete.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Great news about the weight loss, @Mike-G!! I hope the knee replacement goes well and your recovery is quick and complete.
    thanks Pete! Correction: @MikeG-2012

I hope it goes well too. I am really tired of knee pain, REALLY TIRED!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

7. Likes Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

4.5 miles yesterday working on campus, 12 ladder climbs, 90 minutes of "exercise", and 840 calories burned, according to my Apple Watch.

I hurt today, but I have more network work to do today, so bring it on!!!

I really think my watch tracking my movements and exercise is a good motivator. It beeps at me hourly to get up and move. It gives me updates during the day on my progress and congratulates me when I meet my goals. Right now, I have it set to burn 400 calories a day. Rarely, I don't do that, and mostly because it is Saturday and I did not wear the watch 1/2 of the day. I would encourage all of you that can afford some kind of fitness watch that will help you track your activity, to go out and get one. It is addicting to keep and meet the daily goals , and keeps you moving. We've ll heard the old adage: "Things at rest, stay at rest..."

Hope all of you are MOVING WELL!!
    MikeG-2012

9. Likes bobjannj, annekat, Pete, Alysia, Keith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure I must have posted on this thread at some point as I'm subscribed, but I have to share this with you all. I don't think I've posted about this particular mode of exercise, and I think if you have the opportunity, I would strongly recommend this route.

Last year for Christmas (2016) Brian got me an electric assist mountain bike. It was delivered, mid January, 2017, and it's been nothing but fun. I don't have words to explain how much it has changed my life. Since getting sick in 2010 I haven't done much biking. It use to be my thing. It was our first date. Winter is skiing, and summer is biking. Well I didn't have the 'spoons' to go out biking. Not the way I want to in order to have fun, to feel the wind in my face, to feel alive and free. I thought those days were long long gone.

Well, they weren't. Since January 15, 2017, I have put on over 3,000km (3124.5km to be exact), that's just 6 miles short of 2,000 miles. I certainly couldn't have done it without the assist, but then when people who don't know I'm missing a lot of my lung capacity call me wimpy for using an electric assist bike, I just roll my eyes. Why? Because I have been outside with my husband, having fun on our bikes for that many miles. I feel alive. I can go biking with anyone and never have to worry about not being able to make it home because I'm spent. I never have to worry about keeping up. I have gone on some epic bike rides this summer, and I love love love life on my bike. It helps. But it only helps if you're peddling. It will not help in any way, shape of form if you're not moving those pedals. So you're getting good, fun exercise, you feel alive, you can hang with your old buddies and do your old thing, and you feel awesome when you can show someone your odometer. I've gotten a few people in this town to buy e-bikes, and every single one of them are over the moon happy.

I hope that this might put a fly in your head that might lead to an e-bike in your future. If it does, there is one thing I know for sure...you will absolutely love it.
    IMG_8233.jpg

11. Likes Pete, seied, Alysia, TommyG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which e-bike do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seied View Post
    I bought an Evelo since they seem to be very good bikes but there are many other brands highly rated too. The real cheap ones break easy and are hard to repair. If you can buy one with a good local dealer or place where you can get maintenance work done. There are lot of videos and rating reviews to help you pick out a bike right for you.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

14. Likes seied, marta, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seied View Post
    Like drz said, there are lots out there. Mine is a Trek Powerfly 7, and it hasn't given me any problems thus far (3149.3km as of yesterday afternoon).

I know I talked Brian's boss and his wife into some, I think theirs are Soul??? and he had some issues with his battery, but like drz said, get one where you can get service if need be and then it shouldn't be an issue what you get.

The thing that's amazing about them is that you get to go outside and do stuff that is healthy both for body and for mind. Sometimes I get short of breath just doing stairs, and my oxygen sats haven't really gone above 94 on a good day since my pulmonary embolism last year (and my flare) but man, I get on my bike, and the world is my oyster. If I'm weaker, I chose more assist. If I'm feeling strong, I'll do less assist or on the very rare occasion, no assist.

I know they're pricey, but my sister in law managed to make it part of her healthy living bonus at work (some people get gym memberships and the like, and she used hers for an e-bike) I think it could be argued too that this is a therapeutic tool, and maybe it can be used as a tax deduction. Just some ideas to maybe make it more feasible.

16. Likes seied, drz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not the kind of person who is vain and posts stuff like this. But, when I put these two photos side-by-side a few minutes ago, I lost my breath for a few seconds, because I did not recognize this guy.

2017-Mike-2014small.jpg

2014 was full on 80 MG of pred, 2017 is just last week after working on my weight.

It is possible everyone! I was resigned to the fact that I was stuck in a new normal prednisone weight. I started watching what I ate, and once it started coming off, losing pounds became addicting. 60# now and 60# more to go!

Happy Holidays Everyone!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 12-23-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    MikeG-2012

18. Likes Keith, Alysia, Dirty Don liked this post