User Tag List

Likes Likes:  68
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself today. For the first time in 6-1/2 years, I swam 1,000 yards non-stop. It took me about 25 minutes. Before I got sick, I was swimming 1,500 meters twice a week and walking 3-4 miles in less than an hour 3-4 times a week. Feeling grateful that I'm almost back to my pre-wegs self!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great, Pete! We can apparently count on you to keep this thread going. I hope to be a better workout buddy this year, but it won't involve swimming. More likely walking, once I'm better recovered from my hip fracture. My new Medicare plan allows me some time at a gym, too... so maybe I'll try out some of those machines or take an old ladies yoga class....

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Anne!! Hope you can take advantage of some gym time. Our health plan also covers our YMCA membership. We're fortunate that we have a nice, well-equipped, and well-staffed facility to use. Indoor and outdoor pool, therapy pool (managed by OSU Medical Center), machines, free weights, walking track, large gym, and some studio style fitness rooms. My next goal is to get some help with an exercise routine that will help me bust my pred belly.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you on the pred belly. I guess I might be up for some kind of water exercise, just not distance swimming, but I doubt that would do much for the belly. My plan covers several fitness clubs to choose from, possibly including the YMCA. The first hurdle will be talking to someone working at whichever place I choose, and learning how to work my way into the routine, at my age. Could be fun!

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started back in the pool in a water aerobics class. Good cardio and got me used to being back in the pool.

Just do it!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 years ago when I first got sick, I could not even walk around the block without stopping. I remember myself visualizing skiing again, riding a chairlift with my daughter. I joined a Gym and had to take a leave from my college for two years (to sick to work). I remember how weak I was when I first starting lifting weights. I had to learn to take it slow and easy so i would not keep hurting myself. 4 years ago I got back on my skis and was so happy just to be out in the mountains again. This year not only did i get to ride up to the top with my daughter multiple times, but also was able to stay out most of the day on challenging runs. Still going to the Gym when I can. It is not always easy to get to the Gym regularly when you are working full-time and have family responsibilities too. Oh ya I'm also managing an autoimmune disorder. This June now that I'm 55, I can phase in on retirement. It will allow me to work a lot less and hopefully workout a lot more, while keeping my health insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been pretty derelict of late with fitness activity. That changed when a friend of mine posted his before and after (losing 25 pounds) photos on FB. He credits his success to eating healthier (which I do) and walking 3-4 miles every day.

I resumed walking on Monday. I've averaged 3.9 miles each day in just under an hour. And the bonus is that my left hip hasn't gotten cranky!! I'll go again tomorrow and then take the weekend off. I hope it cools down (and the humidity drops) next week so I can get a round of golf in.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

8. Likes annekat, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have lost weight due to eating better and moving. Even though my left knee has no cartilage left in it on one side (and it hurts like almighty ____!!), I still put at least 2.5 - 3.5 miles a day on my feet at work. There are days when that is excruciatingly painful, but I know if I stop, I'll put the weight back on. Looking forward to some knee relief during winter holiday break this year.

Keep moving everyone!!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

10. Likes Pete, annekat, Dirty Don liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the most I can say is I can walk without crutches to a certain extent, but will pay for it later. Otherwise, usually just one crutch, and could graduate to a cane soon. Keep moving, good advice! I try to do that and it is helping, slowly. My scale is broken so don't know my current weight. Mike, I don't know how you can get around like you do with excruciating pain! I'd think a little extra weight would be preferable. And you are not causing more damage, or is all the damage done? Winter holiday break seems awfully long to wait. You are quite the trooper.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has been a feature for me with this disease is that I cannot exert myself. My first symptom was in 1989. My story is well documented here on n other threads so I won't repeat myself. Just like to relate that I would be getting over a flare( 1989 to 2007 undiagnosed in the bowel) weak and maybe have been confined to the house for many months, I would start to be feeling better and would try some form of exercise to get fit but invarably that would be the start of another flare. Even after diagnosis and treatment I still cannot exercise. There is an invisible line that I must not cross as far as exertion goes. This forces me to lead a very quiet, sedate life. As long as I chug along at an even keel I feel OK.

13. Likes Alysia liked this post
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast