User Tag List

Likes Likes:  68
Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I ate lots of veggies and rice, with some protein added, when on pred. It tasted great to me and I didn't need to reach for the sweet stuff or the processed snacks. Of course, rice is carbs, but some carbs is OK, just not too many, and maybe avoid wheat, since that packs on the pounds the most for some people. Brown rice is best, and things like quinoa. Baked potatoes are good because they have a lot of potassium if you leave the skins on. Salads are good, because you can add a few croutons or potato chunks if you want and some protein like shrimp, chicken, or eggs. As long as you have the pred hunger, I wouldn't deny it, just don't overdo it. Drink lots of water, that will help fill you up and you need it anyway, to keep hydrated and flush the meds through your system, especially if you are on cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan, CTX). Not sure what to suggest about losing weight, beyond exercise along with the healthful diet, as some can't exercise. But as soon as you can, start, a little at a time. Some have more trouble with pred weight than others, but most have at least some.
    Pred hunger that's what it is? I'm always hungry and it's not really helping me maintain my weight. I try munching on healthy alternatives like nuts, fruits, salads, etc... but it doesn't really help especially when my body craves lots of food. Any tips?
    Last edited by itzymendz; 01-17-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi... Doesn't anyone, have the name John anymore? Just kidding, but have no idea what to call you either, cause now I can't see you're profile! I'm not sure, but think youre reffering to a blood sugar, meter? Might of been me back a few posts.. its to test you're sugar to make sure you're not spiking. Blood sugar should stay under 120 after meals, anything higher is going into what some call pre diabetes, but there is no pre, in reality. Pred, causes spikes in sugar, as you may already know, since youre dealing with this sucky sickness too... Are you being treated? Dont know if you already did an intro, buteither way, we would love hearing about you? Nice meeting you, even if I don't know what to call you... Deb.
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Hi... Doesn't anyone, have the name John anymore? Just kidding, but have no idea what to call you either, cause now I can't see you're profile! I'm not sure, but think youre reffering to a blood sugar, meter? Might of been me back a few posts.. its to test you're sugar to make sure you're not spiking. Blood sugar should stay under 120 after meals, anything higher is going into what some call pre diabetes, but there is no pre, in reality. Pred, causes spikes in sugar, as you may already know, since youre dealing with this sucky sickness too... Are you being treated? Dont know if you already did an intro, buteither way, we would love hearing about you? Nice meeting you, even if I don't know what to call you... Deb.
    Hi so sorry my name is Itzel, I thought you could don't really know how to use this site very well still. Call me itzy if you'd like. Oh ok and would my doctor give me the meter or could I just buy one? Yes I am I started treatment in November and had my second infusion of rituximab in December just waiting on my follow up with my rheumatologist right now. Haven't done an intro either sorry. Nice meeting you as well.
    Last edited by itzymendz; 01-17-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itsy, hi! Ok, not John, but that's cool. Nice meeting you.. good you're in treatment. You can just ask you're doctor for the meter, as they usually have them to freely distribute. Why buy it, if you can get it free? You're doc, will explain how to use it ect. Well the nurse more than likely. Still would love to here more about you? When you're up to it? As far as not knowing how to use the site, join the club! It's like a little adventure on my end! Hope to see you, around, Itsy... Debra.
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itzy, sorry. Not itsy... See what I meant? And it gets worse. A lot worse! Deb.
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itzy! Haha.. you're profile picture was not there when you first posted! Thus, the john comment... So funny... Making me look more nuts than I am! Deb.
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itzymendz View Post
    my body craves lots of food. Any tips?
    Prednisone speeds up your metabolism so you actually need to eat much more. Go ahead and watch your weight but watch your Wegener's far more closely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Prednisone speeds up your metabolism so you actually need to eat much more. Go ahead and watch your weight but watch your Wegener's far more closely.
    Yeah, the trick is to find the amount of food your body needs for nutrition without gaining weight. It's difficult to lose weight while on more than 10 mg/day of pred. Exercise, monitoring portion size, and a healthy diet should help.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Itzel, Itzy, I really like your name! I would go ahead and enjoy the eating you get to do with pred, just try to focus on what you already know to be the most healthful foods, the ones you would use if you weren't taking pred for any reason but still had a weight problem. You need some carbs, but limit them, eat plenty of salads and other veggie dishes, combine meat or eggs with veggies in stir-fry, and serve on brown rice or quinoa. Include some fats like in aged cheese and whole milk yogurt, but go easy on them. Avoid sugar and any processed foods or snacks! Surprisingly, for me, I had fewer cravings for the less healthful foods, and the more healthful stuff tasted extra good while I was on pred! A note on sugar, for me, personally, it was about the worst thing I could eat in terms of how it made me feel! It still is. I eat sweet things here and there, but if I binge on them at all, I feel absolutely lousy, the coughing and sniffling and lack of energy comes right back. Just use common sense, and enjoy what you do eat, and know that for most people those pounds will drop off once they are on lower levels of pred and are feeling well enough to get out and exercise.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been off the forum for a long time. feeling ready to jump back in. Will take me forever to catch up. this thread caught my eye. I am ready to get back on the treadmill...literally..tomorrow. I am hoping that the snow they are talking of holds off.

fortunately, prednisone does NOT make me extra hungry. But it does raise my blood sugar and messes with my usually sunny disposition. My poor husband dreads it. I have recently discovered that I am allergic to grains. Have tested it only on wheat...but my reaction was so bad, I don't intend to test any other grains. Because of the elevated blood sugar, my PCP put me on Dr. Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Silution 10 day detox. That was back in Sept. amazingly, it broke my continual cycle of "infection, prednisone and antibiotics, feel better, start all over syndrome". For the first ten days I was off all sugar, processed food, ALL grains, and all dairy. After that, i added dairy back with no ill effects. I felt so much better that the only thing else I added was a little fruit. Then Christmas. I ate four TINY cookies, homemade with all organic ingredients. All hell broke loose. Head to toe fiery, itchy red rash, followed by shortness of breath, unable to manage much else besides breathing, and back to a high does of pred. Now i am back on the wagon. I have found some amazing substitutes for the things I can't eat. Have lost 27 pounds and feel MUCH better. This is my lifetime eating plan now.

Happy to meet a new person on the forum. Hopefully I will be able to catch up a little....
    Last edited by BookNut; 01-18-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast