User Tag List

Likes Likes:  68
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, forgot to add, since pred causes blood sugar to go higher, you also need to be careful of fruit, even some vegetables. For example an apple or banana, will cause a spike pretty much equal to a Klondike bar. Hi starch vegetables can also spike you're blood. Spiking causes weight gain, also makes it difficult to lose, if you're not aware. Look for high fiber, as the high fiber can off set the spike. Fiber is you're friend. You can somewhat deduct the fiber grams, from the total carb count. Although this is cheating, ya gotta live a little... And never say diet, or weight loss, cause you're body hates this! It will fight you, so just say, my new healthy way of eating. Hope you find a little helpful? Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ate lots of veggies and rice, with some protein added, when on pred. It tasted great to me and I didn't need to reach for the sweet stuff or the processed snacks. Of course, rice is carbs, but some carbs is OK, just not too many, and maybe avoid wheat, since that packs on the pounds the most for some people. Brown rice is best, and things like quinoa. Baked potatoes are good because they have a lot of potassium if you leave the skins on. Salads are good, because you can add a few croutons or potato chunks if you want and some protein like shrimp, chicken, or eggs. As long as you have the pred hunger, I wouldn't deny it, just don't overdo it. Drink lots of water, that will help fill you up and you need it anyway, to keep hydrated and flush the meds through your system, especially if you are on cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan, CTX). Not sure what to suggest about losing weight, beyond exercise along with the healthful diet, as some can't exercise. But as soon as you can, start, a little at a time. Some have more trouble with pred weight than others, but most have at least some.
    Last edited by annekat; 01-14-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itzymendz View Post
    how to lose weight.
    My method starts with the bathroom scale, every single day without fail, that's the motivation part. First thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything and sans clothes so it's just me, at the lowest weight of the day.

After that it's diet and will power, so reasonable portions, low fat and low cal. Lots of veggies goes well with most meals and they fill you up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss all the fun! Anne, and Birdie. Well story of my life... Sweet potatoes, Anne, a power food. I love baked potatoes. Quinoa, I started making a few years ago. Kinda pain, but worth it. Good fats, like olive oil, real butter, raw milk? Need to be careful and have a soarce. Ah... Food! Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itzymendz View Post
    Hey, I would love advice on maintain my weight as well as how to lose weight. I'm on prednisone and is been quite hard.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    First of all, don't expect to lose weight quickly - especially at pred dosages greater than 10 mg daily. The things that helped me lose weight are:

1. Exercise. You may have to work up to this. When I first started, it was an effort to walk 100 yards. I gradually worked up to about 3 miles daily (took about six months). I've since done water aerobics and light resistance weight training.
    2. Portion control.
    3. Eating more fresh foods and really cutting back on or eliminating processed foods and low-fat foods. I use fresh fruits and raw veggies, real butter, whole milk, coconut oil and olive oil. I try to eat oily fish (tuna or salmon) a couple times a week. I usually eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. I eat very little bread. I sweeten with stevia instead of sugar. I don't drink soda at all. I drink water (2-3 16 oz glasses a day), black coffee, unsweetened tea. I have a beer or a glass of wine a couple of times a week. My snacks include nuts, fresh fruits, and a few squares of a high quality (Chocolove or Kind) candy bar.
    4. Persistence. It took me over a year to lose 25 pounds. I weigh myself about every other day. If there is an upward trend, I increase exercise and cut back on snacking.

It helps that I have several grocery stores nearby that sell "healthy food". My typical daily menu is:
    Breakfast. Black coffee, small bowl of quick oats sweetened with stevia, whole milk, and some berries.
    Lunch: Siggi's Icelandic whole milk yogurt and a piece of fruit and maybe a handful of nuts (cashews or almonds).
    Dinner: Tossed salad with Italian or a vinaigrette dressing, baked sweet potato or roasted sweet potato fries or chips, and 4-8 oz of meat, chicken, or oily fish.

Hope this is helpful...
    Last edited by Pete; 01-15-2016 at 12:53 AM.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, hi. I noticed coconut oil on you're list. Me too. Have you tried coconut cream? If you need a good company to order from, go to tropical traditions. Can we post links? Any way, they have a lot of great stuff, not just coconut oil, ect. Even grass fed meats ect. Been ordering from there for years... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Agreed!! Perhaps some work is needed on your sanity for riding your scooter when it's that cold out...
    I think the wegs took that away in April of 2012!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Pete, hi. I noticed coconut oil on you're list. Me too. Have you tried coconut cream? If you need a good company to order from, go to tropical traditions. Can we post links? Any way, they have a lot of great stuff, not just coconut oil, ect. Even grass fed meats ect. Been ordering from there for years... Deb.
    Haven't tried coconut cream. I usually put a spoonful of coconut oil into my oatmeal before I cook it. I haven't really learned to cook with coconut oil yet.

I usually shop at Whole Foods. They have the grass fed meats, store-made deli meats, spices, and organic produce that we use.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, hi. Ya, back in my shop days I did as well. Actually more trader Joes, because they don't have whole foods up here, so went there while visiting family in Boston. The oil and cream, you don't have to just use for cooking. I put the cream in my coffee, ect. Sometimes just put the oil on whatever. Anyway, there stuff is quality, and free ship offers, so a win, win... Debra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was recently diagnosed late October of last year so I'm fairly new and still lost and confused about many things. Thanks for the advice. What is a meter? What kind of foods do you recommend to eat and avoid? I'm 19 if that helps.

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast