User Tag List

Likes Likes:  68
Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Any virtual workout buddies out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to love cross country skiing at the farm. Maybe some day again.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Week 3 of exercsie plan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm looking for some fellow weggies who will help hold each other accountable for getting physically fit (or maintaining a current level of fitness).

This is not about whose workout is the toughest. It's about friends helping friends to get more physically fit and see if we can minimize the ravages of our dumb disease on our bodies.

Personally, what I want to accomplish is to lose 15 pred pounds, take 2" off my waistline, and strengthen my abs and upper body muscles. I'm committed to walking 40-60 minutes 4-5 times a week. On the days when I only walk for 40 minutes, I'll also hit the weight machines. I'll do at least 20 ab crunches every day.

Yesterday, I walked for 45 minutes, did 20 crunches, did 15 reps on the shoulder press at 25lbs and 20 reps on the chest press at 25 lbs. Today, I walked for 50 minutes and did 24 crunches. I'm tired right now, but will recover in time to play with the grandkids after while.

If anybody wants to join me, just post your activities to this thread. We're all in this together. Let's get fit and have some fun with it!

I have managed to add the extra gym work out, to the dog walks and pilates class. This week has been a bit lazy - temperatures here are 36C so not very enticing to get more hot and sweaty. A cooler change on the weekend so temperatures should drop to 30C. I am determined to get to the gym on the weekend or at least to the pool or beach if it continues to remain hot. I haven't dropped any weight yet but at least I haven't put any on after Christmas.
    I'll let you know how the next 2 weeks go.
    Keep on working
    MichelleH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, the good news: My 36" waist jeans are too big. The bad news is that the size 34s are still way too tight.

Walked for 40 minutes at Y today plus 20 shoulder presses of 20 lbs and 20 chest presses of 30 lbs. finished with 36 crunches.

The even better news is that I'm feeling stronger and more energetic.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can not get myself motivated in this cold weather.I shot a few games of pool today and that was about it. I HATE WINTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I HATE WINTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Me too!! But if the roads aren't too bad, I just have to get out if only to cure cabin fever.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

College closed today due to DANGEROUS temperatures (-10) and up to -35 wind chills. So, I'm stuck at home today with my new recumbent stationary bike I bought Tuesday and assembled last night!

I am SO looking forward to this bike. Before this flare up started back in July/August, I was going to the YMCA on campus at least three days a week and riding the bike there. Once the flare up started, I just couldn't handle the extra work of the workout and gave up the Y membership. Now, the Y is inaccessible to me as the workout area is down 28 steps. Going down isn't an issue, but coming back up is nearly impossible if I want to work for the next 1/2 hour afterwards. There is an old wheelchair lift available, but it takes about 8 minutes to navigate the stairs and three landings, and announces to the WORLD that you are using it. I tried once and got so many "what is he using that for" looks, that I gave it up.

I used to do a lot of bicycle riding until we moved to the country, where our house sits on top of a 1/2 mile long brutal hill, and is surrounded by hills for the next three miles! Leaving home was awesome, down hill for 1/2 mile. I never did manage to be able to make it up the hill peddling, and I did try for years. I am still today in awe of the hardcore road racers who do my road on a regular basis. Kinda the double black diamond road (using a skiing term) that I live on. I finally gave up peddling and went with the 1200cc motorized kind of 'bike'. It is much more fun now to twist a throttle and crank up the tunes on my Lazy-Boy recliner on wheels than it was to peddle! (-8

So, time to give the peddling a try again today! Wish me luck!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half an hour cross country ski today - no doggie assist.

Mike, I have to share a recumbent stationary bike story with you. A very good friend of mine, many years ago, took me out to teach me how to snowboard. We were going back and forth on the bunny slope and I was getting the hang of it. The thing with snowboarding is that the 'sweet spot' on the edge is so huge compared to skis that if you catch your edge the wrong way it takes you down faster than anything you've ever seen. It's like the hand of God comes down and swats you like a fly so fast and violent that there is no time to react really, even if you've boarded for a long time. You just have to ensure you don't catch an edge. So my buddy Dave was waiting for me to get it together and got up and turned to go downslope and caught his edge. He went down like a ton of bricks and broke his collar bone. He spent the next month or so in his house, on his recumbent bike, watching Jackie Chan movies. To this day when I mention Jackie Chan, he thinks of the recumbent bike days in his living room. He's a fit dude, so he hadn't lost anything like we Weggies tend to, but he sure kept himself in tip top shape just from that one activity alone.

So go out and get some Jackie Chan movies and give'er. You'll be climbing the double black in no time. Mark my words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got to the Y yesterday and got in a full workout. Walked for 45 minutes (about 2.5 miles), did 36 crunches, 20 shoulder presses and 20 chest presses. Feeling stronger and glad to have a decrease in waistline. Weight is holding steady at 186.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    So go out and get some Jackie Chan movies and give'er. You'll be climbing the double black in no time. Mark my words.
    I think I have about three or four of those already--almost all of them with Owen Wilson. (Wait, did I just admit that to THOUSANDS of people? YIKES!)

Do I have to make the nifty sound effects too? (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was off the last two days so I didn't sit down at a computer (when you spend 10+ hours a day on one, you don't really want to when you're off work!).
    I walked 2.2 miles on Wednesday and 2.2 miles on Thursday. I did a 20 second plank on Wednesday but forgot to do my plank on Thursday. I need to find my kettle bells in our guest house since I put them there when we moved. I'd like to start adding a few moves in with those everyday.
    Baby steps!
    Good work everyone!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast