Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st RTX infusion today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look forward to reading any updates as I maybe starting rtx for the first time next month.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So glad things went well! It sounds like your experience was similar to mine. I've had 3, I get one every 6 months, its basically a maintenance thing, I've had it so long that it was the best thing to do for many reasons. I basically feel like carriej22......I'm tired and feel worn out for a couple days. But no bad side effects. Keep up the positive attitude! That's so important! Take care
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad yours went well and I'm sure the next one will also.
    When I had mine ( I was scheduled for 2 ) but everything went well during the infusion, mine took about 8 hrs and they gave me 2 heated blankets and a pillow and I went to sleep but toward the end it was time for them to go home for the day and they pushed the last amount in quickly. I ended up getting flu like symtems so my reumy won't let me have another unless absolutely necessary.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, the whole process was easy. I was apprenhensive at first because the nurses kept calling it "chemo". I didn't think of it like that, but I guess it is a strong med. But they have been using it for pts with Rheumatoid Arthritis for a long time. So I knew it was safe. They give u Benadryl first, and it always puts me to sleep. So honestly, I sleep through half of it! The place I go is in a hospital, but the room looks like a place where u give blood. I always meet someone nice, and some people are so worse off than me. It was interesting to me how some people would just come in, like a young college student. They act like they are there every other day! They get the meds going, and sit n study. So I'm sure your experience will be a good one, just relax and ask any questions you have (I asked a lot) and let us know how u do!
    Life is a Gift~ Lilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jen,yours does sound like you had a bad reaction to it. I would make sure everything is o.k. before the next
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad all went well. My daughter's 'friend' is me . . . Mom. She has had several now, one every 6 months. I have observed her after because she usually stays with us for the first couple days, and when she is home I try to check daily for a while after. She expresses that she feels like 'something foreign has invaded her body.' She also has had some mood problems after at least one infusion. So everyone has different reactions, even when they are not considered medically dangerous. But this being your first one, don't hesitate to call your doctor if you have any of the side effects on the list he/she gave you. Better safe than sorry until you understand your personal reactions.

LillysMom

Preferences

§
    -
    =
    Backspace

Tab
    q
    w
    e
    r
    t
    y
    u
    i
    o
    p
    [
    ]

Return

capslock
    a
    s
    d
    f
    g
    h
    j
    k
    l
    ;
    '
    \

shift
    `
    z
    x
    c
    v
    b
    n
    m
    /
    shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences
    Preferences

§
    -
    =
    Backspace

Tab
    q
    w
    e
    r
    t
    y
    u
    i
    o
    p
    [
    ]

Return

capslock
    a
    s
    d
    f
    g
    h
    j
    k
    l
    ;
    '
    \

shift
    `
    z
    x
    c
    v
    b
    n
    m
    /
    shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences
    Last edited by LillysMom; 01-02-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same brief itchy throat with my first infusion only and then felt fine for the other three - they also ended up giving me 100mg of Solumedrol prior to the infusion. I have been so happy with the lack of side effects!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having just went through four of these within the last month, all I can say is that mine went well all four times.

The first one was over six or seven hours, the next three were four to five. Before each one that I had, they gave me IV Benadryl and IV steroids (120 mg solumedrol). The Benadryl made me groggy, so I learned to have a can of caffeinated pop after the Benadryl was put through the IV. The combined amount of steroids did give me some insomnia the night of the infusions, but I did not have to be anywhere the next day, so I crashed when I finally could sleep.

Again, I think every one of us has said it one time or another on this forum, BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE! If YOU feel like something is not right, TELL THEM! If they don't listen, tell them AGAIN. I'm a very passive person, but have learned that a little mild encouragement and sometimes a little bit of controlled, mild aggression gets doctors' and nurses' attention, quick! Especially when they don't expect it from you. (-8

Good luck with #2!!

MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my first of four treatments on Thursday. It went well. I got 125 mg solumedrol and then 1000 mg RTX infused over 5. hours. I felt OK yesterday but last night and so far today I am glued to the couch. My next infusion will be again on Thursday and then for the next two. The insurance approved four at once a week. I guess the doctor will figure out what is next from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KimH View Post
    I had my first of four treatments on Thursday. It went well. I got 125 mg solumedrol and then 1000 mg RTX infused over 5. hours. I felt OK yesterday but last night and so far today I am glued to the couch. My next infusion will be again on Thursday and then for the next two. The insurance approved four at once a week. I guess the doctor will figure out what is next from there.
    Hang in there Kim. Listen to your body the next few weeks/month and when it tells you to go get glued to the couch, ask it what kind of glue you should use--instant or slow drying! (-8 LOL!

Now you know what to expect, so you can plan a day of rest afterwards if you need one.

I'm glad to hear it went good though!

MikeG-2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast