Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: some things never change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine living without our NHS service. People moan about it of course, but I've always been treated very well. You can even choose which hospital you want to use these days.
    If you are that unhappy with the NHS, we still have a large private insurance and treatment system. I was in a position to use it once and the only difference seemed to be nicer decoration, coffee and biscuits! The consultant I saw was the same one who later treated (and nearly killed!) me in the state run hospital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No system is going to be perfect. I think the folks who whine about the NHS should be invited to the US and live with this system for a time. Bet they'd be on the first plane back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No system is perfect and as ours is a government run, you can imagine the shortages. Not having a private insurance I am now stuck paying for all my medication. I too have an absessed tooth and will go to have a look at it, if I can get it done thru the hospital at least that part will be covered by the insurance. Which by the way is not free. I pay $680 per quarter year for 2 people. Just heard on the radio that people polled in US were 50 percent happy with medicare there and thought it adequate and only 45 thought canadian was better.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like to moan about our NHS but when I do it's only little niggles, but as you say no system is perfect.
    I do realise just how lucky we are here, despite the flaws I have come across I have still had at least 35k of plasma treatment completely free of charge to me.

I cannot imagine being taken to the emergency room and not being treated until my insurance checked out - that is just crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not had to have dialysis or plasma treatment but both are covered. Medical in hospital treatments are all covered. I wanted physiotherapy for my dropped foot - no go even with a docs prescription I would have to pay.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just been listening to some of the arguments being put forward in the USA against a state medical system. They are using the NHS as an example and simply telling lies! I'm outraged!

It is not true that we are denied expensive treatments - my own case is a good example. I hate to think how much my treatment must cost. There is a department that gives approval to treatments, but only the very expensive ones with debatable effectiveness are ruled out. I doubt that private insurance would cover most of these.

Old people are allowed to die - often just the opposite is true! My mother-in-law was kept alive in a pitiful condition for 9 months at the insistance of her husband. While treatment is being requested, doctors find it very difficult to withdraw it. The old and sick are not "allowed to die".

The condition of British teeth! - A bit of a joke in the USA I know, but most people have quite good teeth. Interestingly, the dental sector is almost entirely outside the provision of the NHS and relies on private health insurance or simply direct payments from patients. There is cover for some groups and subsidies for others, but many people are not in a position to pay for expensive treatment so cosmetic appearance must take a lower priority for them. Emergency hospital treatment is still free.

The popularity of the British NHS system must be judged by the reaction of the people using it. There is overwhelming support for its continuation and an outcry when any government hints at reducing funding or moving parts of its provision to the private sector.
    We live in fear of an American system and are proud of the fact that everyone gets treatment if they need it. Even visitors from the States!
    Last edited by Jack; 08-14-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jolanta,

I am pretty lucky here in Saskatchewan. Sask Health covers all hospital visits including emergency. If your income is low enough, like mine is, the Sask Health Drug Plan will help cover your meds. For example: My Cellcept, which I take 3g per day, runs about $950.00. Because I am approved to take this drug under the Sask Drug Plan and have 96% coverage under the plan I only pay about $38.00 per month which is far more affordable. My income last year was about $12,000.00, so at $950.00 per month I would be broke. We in Saskatchewan don't have to pay anything for our health care, it is totally government funded.

They do cover Physio treatments here with a prescription from your GP but do not cover dental, massage, chiropractor, etc.

Doug Guest

Your earlier posting pretty well covers it: arguments put up against adoption of your NHS are exactly the ones thrown out in the current US debate. If you can call it debate. Don't put too much weight on anything you hear. It's divided down party lines pretty much. Sour grapes from the Republicans, bad sell from the Democrats. While it seems a long way to health insurance reform (whatever form it takes) in the USA, President Obama actually has made it closer to a law of the land than earlier administrations. Senator Kennedy may yet live to see national health care in the USA.

I doubt any intelligent and informed American (there are a few) thinks British dental health is subpar. I'm not sure where that started. It's the same as the notion that British cuisine is a bit bland and always boiled: only ignorant people think that! I'm sure there are sufficient stereotypical views of Americans held by British people and other people around the world to match and cancel out those of Americans' ignorant views of people abroad. Maddening, to be sure. I hate to be cast among the stereotypes, and hope I always mind my P's & Q's when I am around people from other countries, never throwing out comments that reflect ignorant points of view.

I no longer watch the news on television as my primary source of information (especially Fox!) because of the distorted sense one has of the world in consequence. I don't think one can ever get a true sense of the world, but I do feel comfortable something will come out of Congress that reflects the best of other countries' NHSs in intent, and the worst of bureaucratic folly in execution. It'll take a few years to settle in, then even the Conservatives will be happy Gramma gets treatments until the husk dries up. It's a nasty scene just now. It feels like one of the worst of American campaign seasons with lies and distortions coming out of mouths all over the political spectrum. There are even campaign-like ads on television.
    Last edited by Doug; 08-14-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi all,i come here and read but i have never post before.but since you all r talking about ins.i though this is a good time to tell my story...im 57 and have no ins.i go to a free clinic.i have diabetes.and for 8yrs.i have skin problems real bad deviated septum bad head aches.diver diverticulitis.need surgery to take a foot of my colon out all my joints hurt.im so sick.but this is what i seen on one of my papers....the dr. had dn. wegeners granulomatosis.but didnt even tell me.and didnt give me any meds.i dont know what to do.without ins. i guess im just out of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Judy,
    What a terrible situation!
    Where do you live? Perhaps someone on here with local knowledge can offer some advice.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast