Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A gluten-free Christmas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face A gluten-free Christmas

My doctor has me on a different kind of wheat-free diet - so technically I am cheating. She feels virtually all grains are inflammatory. However, I can't have Christmas without making Christmas Pudding. I thought you might enjoy my recipe. I modified it to include Jules Gluten-free flour, and I made one using regular flour as well. I cannot tell the difference. The GF version is a little lighter in color, but tastes just as yummy. Both versions steamed for the same amount of time, and were equally easy to remove from the mold. Awesome!

Anyway - if you are interested, you can check out my blog post.

The Aromas of Christmas.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

I always love looking at Christmas traditions...

So what makes something a pudding? I would have called that a cake..

We make fruit cake here typically, the recipes are similar except fruit cake has more fruit, nuts, more eggs... and booze

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carriej22 View Post
    Interesting.
    So what makes something a pudding? I would have called that a cake..
    It is a language peculiarity of the British. "Pudding" is a generic term in England that means “dessert”. I believe the word “dessert” is a bit to “French” to suit the British, who prefer things simple and homey. You will often see on English menus the terms “Starters, Main Course, and Pudding”. It is a bit confounding as an American to hear Apple Pie or cake referred to as “pudding”. Oh well. What can I say? “Two nations, separated by a common language!!”

The English also serve a Christmas fruit cake which is more what you describe - but when they say "plum pudding" or "figgy pudding", they mean a "cake" that is steamed in a mold and contains assorted dried fruits - but not candied fruit and booze as their fruit cakes do. All very confusing. I spent an entire summer with my English family when I was 16 and ran into lots of language confusion. They had a beautiful multi-colored long furred cat. I THOUGHT her name was Sundae (as in ice cream sundae) - until my last day when I saw her name written and realized that what sounded like Sundae was actually Sandy. If I was not feeling well - I was careful not to say I was "sick". If I did - they ran for the "barf bucket" as my American family refers to it. If you are feeling unwell - you say your are "poorly" or you are "ill". You never say you are sick in polite company!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another successful gluten-free Christmas recipe

Another day - another back-breaking Christmas tradition! Click if you are interested in a successful gluten-free cookie recipe. Just make sure you adapt the recipe by adding flour about a quarter cup at a time until the dough is elastic enough to be easily kneaded and rolled into a ball. I think I added about an extra cup - but go easy so you don't add too much. If the dough sticks to your hands in gooey globs, you know you have to add more GF flour. Another caution. I use Jules Gluten Free Flour which must be ordered online. Jules contains xanthum gum. Other gf flours need you to add xanthum gum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing the recipes, they sound amazing! Hope everything is going well for you.
    Nothing can break you; you are much stronger than you think... look at what you've already survived.