Thread: Hello from Minnesota

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello from Minnesota

Hello
    I was diagnosed in August 2011 after an interesting spring and summer being diagnosed repetitively with a sinus infection. I spent 4 weeks in the hospital with every week bringing a new adventure. I did not take well to cytoxan so I was put on a rituxan 5 year plan (hopefully it will only be 5 years.)
    In the last 2 years I have learned that what does not kill you, only makes you stronger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Mrs. Schick! It sounds like you got diagnosed quicker than some of us, after a string of sinus infections. That is a typical story, though certainly not universal, as Wegener's finds many ways to manifest itself and every case is a little different. Sounds like there must have been a lot more going on, if you were in the hospital for 4 weeks! Some of us don't have to go there at all, while others do spend weeks and can be in grave condition before pulling through. We'd like to hear anything about what went on in there that you'd like to share.

I was like you, had many sinus infections, but for a couple of years, along with some ear infections and joint pain. When it went into my lungs in winter of 2011, I got diagnosed and treated with cytoxan, which I was able to tolerate fine, along with prednisone, of course, and that combo cleared up my lungs in short order, while the sinus stuff also improved a lot but drags on due to permanent damage. I lost a good part of my hearing and wear hearing aids. But in general I'm pretty close to being back to a "new normal".

So how are you doing now? We'd love to hear, and this is a great place to ask and share anything, vent and rant, make friends and get support, and even to talk about things not related to the disease. If you have to have Wegener's, you have come to the right place!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome MrsSchick, you're probably a pro by now at this, but if you have questions/answers/sharing/rants...whatever...please share. Someone's always on somewhere in this world! Lots of good people on here to share experiences and info with. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSchick View Post
    Hello
    I was diagnosed in August 2011 after an interesting spring and summer being diagnosed repetitively with a sinus infection. I spent 4 weeks in the hospital with every week bringing a new adventure. I did not take well to cytoxan so I was put on a rituxan 5 year plan (hopefully it will only be 5 years.)
    In the last 2 years I have learned that what does not kill you, only makes you stronger!
    Where in Minnesota are you from and which hospital. It sounds like you have a great treatment plan. Hopefully by now you are off the pred and now getting to the "new normal"

Dennis from Monticello

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    you sound so positive, so I believe it helps you a lot.
    if you have to have WG, you have come to the best place on the globe to be in.
    all the best wg-experts in the world are just here, with so much knowledge and experience, and beyond that, with kindness and generosity, and awesome sense of humor.
    I love the amazing people here. if you stay enough, you wil also fall in love with this weggie family
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Alysia says above is so true!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome to the "family" ! I have never heard of a 5 year plan of rtx. Do you get infusions every year and are you on any other meds?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello mrs Schick. Where in mn are you from?
    Allison
    - You can judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello MrsSchick. Glad you found us, sorry it had to be under these circumstances.
    Last edited by windchime; 12-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi MrsSchick,

I haven't seen you back on, so I thought it was about time that I said welcome..........I know that should bring you back

Seriously though, what everyone, above, has said, is true. This is a wonderful forum to be a member of and I am glad that you finally found us.

A five year plan hey........I would hope that you don't need RTX for as long as 5 years. Possibly you have more symptoms than just your sinuses.

I would love to hear your story - especially each weekly adventure
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS