Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You A Germ-A-Phobe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are You A Germ-A-Phobe?

I've always leaned that direction, but I know more-so now that I take immune-suppressing drugs.
    Sometimes I think I take it too far, and hate think I get THAT worried. I'm "lucky", though, not having to host much in my home, being a single person. Many of you have spouses, children, grandchildren, etc. - so there's hugs, and kisses, and closeness, and this, and that. I put the word lucky in parentheses, because to have that stuff in one's life is definitely not unlucky. I've been too long to myself/on my own and I'm sure that's part of it.

Question: How much of a germ-a-phobe are you due to Weg's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to give up on being extreme with my cleaning because I just can't do much at all anymore and my parents are not clean at all.

Sounds like you are lonely Dave. Maybe you need a wife.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was coerced into buying some hand sanitizer when I came to this forum, I still have it but haven't used it in weeks. I'm not really more cautious now than before, part of it is that my doc told me that my white blood cell count has remained good, so I suppose I shouldn't be more prone to infections / or they shouldn't be more severe than before.

I did take the flu shot, but was hesitant about that. Maybe we are a bit more cautious about inviting kids over who have the flu. Sometimes its kind of hard to know, since their parents might not remember to warn us even after we told that we can't have contagious kids over since I got the disease.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you are lonely Dave. Maybe you need a wife.[/QUOTE]

Ya THINK, Phil!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around the house, not too much.

Use soap and water after toilet, before handling/preparing food, and returning from outdoors.

Since I'm retired, I can avoid sick people most of the time. I go to the gym and grocery with no issues so far. During winter, I don't get out much and am ok with it. If I have to go someplace (wedding or funeral) where there may be sick people, I'll make sure I have a disposable surgical mask and hand sanitizer with me. I've skipped some events because of the potential for catching something. My family understands and is as ok with it as they can be.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then get out and get thee one.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Yes, Yes - and did I happen to mention YES - 150%

David, I'm not sure that you and I would make a great couple - with us both having WG and all, not to mention me living on the other side of the world
    however, we both have so much in common, even down to the same day we were both diagnosed with this, oh so wonderful, condition.

I to, was also germ weary, way before WG hit, but now it is worse.

I was always freaked out about public toilets, taps, traffic lights, shopping trolley's and elevator buttons.........always using my sleeve to push or turn any of these things. My family are also very aware of these things now.

I am still the same about buttons, taps and trolley's, but I now don't like to shake hands with people, and if I do, I take the very first opportunity to use my hand sanitizer.
    I wear a scarf around my mouth and nose when using public transport. I have a bad habit, now, of ducking my head whenever anyone sneezes......like that is going to protect me

Also, signing the form if the postman brings an article or signing the forms at the doctors, pharmacists etc, using their pens ...... yuck
    hand sanitizer again for this.

I think our water bill has doubled since 2010.......and not just because they put the charges up

One other thing I forgot to mention - I am happily married nearly 30 years - and my family are the only people I am not afraid of, in regards to germs.
    Here is a big hug to you David - one that wont cause you any grief
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for years I was considered by my friends to be a hypochondriac.
    this song was the hypochondriac song:
    ?????- ?? ???? ??????? (????)?? - YouTube
    it tells about someone who is very careful not to catch any germ, like never yawwning before checking the winds directions, being in panic when someone is sneezing around, checking his fever every day, etc.
    well, I felt that I HAD SOMETING. I was even kidding, saying that on my grave it will be written: "I TOLD YOU".
    but it turns out that I DO have something. WG.
    I am not afraid anymore that I have something, I know that I have it.
    as for germs: I am careful if I have to go to places like hospitals and health service clinics, trying to come early before it is croweded with sick people. and when I am back home I do a shower and change, first thing.
    but at other places I give up. I can't be "on guard" every where.
    I must say, that it is rare for me to catch germs from my kids, although they are sick from time to time. my daughter had monoucleosis last year, but I was not infected.
    prob when you love someone, you take only the goods from him.
    so David, your road is open. your future wife will be blessed. weggies-boys are sensitive and kind.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchased a water filtration system because our well had minute traces of e coli in it ... which made my husband fearful that I would somehow be exposed to it. My ENT surgeon had also commented that I couldn't get water near my incision after surgery especially if I had well water because of the amoebas in it. So now ... I have an extra water bill while I pay off the system that make my water cleaner than most.
    I also paid extra to have an air filtration system put in with my heating and air conditioning (not to mention having the heat put in in the first place) because of my sickness. This is all my husband's doing. I'm not so germaphobic yet. But, he doesn't want to take any chances.
    We didn't have heat in our house so we paid to have it installed because being freezing probably doesn't help my situation.
    So ... financially, I've paid a lot to protect myself in the long run. (If things were to get worse, I'll already have this stuff on hand and paid off!)
    I wipe down my desk, I carry hand sanitizer, I don't sit near people who are sick. I'm extra careful but ... it doesn't feel too overly so. I work with people who are already germaphobic and I am not like them!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

​I'm very conscious of what I touch using my knuckle at the ATM and my own pen when signing things. I have four grandchildren that live with me and I try to stay out of their way if they are sick. I can't use hand sanitizer because it breaks out my hands so it's plain soap and water for me. I've always had a strong immune system and other than WG I stay pretty healthy. It's currently kicking me in the butt though.

I may have to take to wearing a mask though as there are a lot of sick people that like to get massages. I asked one lady if she had any medical conditions and she said, "no, just a little head cold and the massage shouldn't be contraindicated." No it's not but consider you're breathing in my face for 10 minutes or so that I'm working on your neck and shoulders. Sorry small rant about inconsiderate people that get massages.

I'm more of a germaphobe now than two months ago.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast