Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone Side Effect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know mtx did that. Ctx often changes hair by making it curly, since it alters the DNA. Mtx is chemo, too.

Ever since I was on ctx 3 yrs ago, my hair "bends" closer to the root. I don't have much, of course, but it doesn't stand up straight like it used to. It used to be pretty curly, but the curl started a few inches out from the root.
    Last edited by Sangye; 08-10-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started taking Ctx while I was in the hospital back in Feb. 09'. And after about two or three week of taking it i got out of the hospital shower and my mom was going to try to brush my hair and it started comeing out so bad she couldn't even brush it.. we had to just jull it up.. it thinned my hair out ALOT but it didn't all come out thank GOD!!! And i do have alot more hair on my arms now and its also a lighter color too. And I don't have to shave my legs no where near as much as i used too!! I Know thats crazy lol.. some of its falling out, changing colors, growing too much, and growing too slow...lol But im on Mtx now and my hair seems to still be thinning... mostly when i try to brush it after i get out of the shower.. so i don't even brush it anymore i just run my fingers thrugh it and try to keep it pulled up and as light as i can...
    Summer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also had hair issues on ctx - I lost a lot too on my first 3 month cycle, not so much on the second cycle and now I'm on CellCept it's starting to grow back. However it is coming through wavy and much drier than before - I've never had to use so much intensive conditioner in my life! Also I have lots of unruly strands about 6 inches long that stand up and require smoothing down all the time.
    I've had it cut shorter than I'm used to and I think if I keep hacking a few inches off eventually I'll have lovely wavy locks in time for my wedding in April.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On ctx my hair thinned out a lot. I was on it for about 8 months. It took a long time to start growing back in (my hair used to grow crazy fast)-- I think it was at least a year. It's never been as thick as it was. It's too early to tell what the ctx will do this time.

Summer, the loss of hair in some places and increase of it in others is due to ctx and pred. The ctx made my leg hair stop growing. But about 2 years after getting off pred, it started growing in with a very bizarre pattern. I described it on here once before-- only on the front of my lower legs, from knee to ankle a 3-inch wide strip of extremely long,thick and dark hair (over 1 inch long!). The rest of my lower legs had almost no hair. It truly looks like someone has glued on a gorilla costume. It's still going on, and when any docs see it, they just shrug and say, "Steroids, I guess." It's proof that even when you stop the steroids, they're still causing imbalances for many years-- as if your body was still on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you with thinning hair problems... I used to have long, thick hair until I got on the cytoxan. That thinned it so much it looked horrible, not to mention I couldn't do much of anything with it!! It also just kind of stopped growing, though what I had didn't actually "fall out."
    But I found a product that helped tremendously - Shaklee Instant Protein Soy Mix. Just mix it in juice or milk once a day... the soy and extra protein have made a huge difference. I personally have it in orange juice every morning with my bucket-load of medications... My hair actually started REgrowing, while I was still on the cytoxan, and though I still have to spend more time than I like on it getting it to look presentable, it is finally getting back "normal"!!
    Maybe it could help some of you... just wanted to share what worked for me!
    Elizabeth J.
    Officially a Weggie since April 2007

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hair, the bane of my existance. Actualy my hair curled after cyclo, so the perk was I didn't have to spend a dime on perm. It has thinned out quite a bit and is now dry and unmanagable but I keep it short and glob a lot of moisturizers and leave in conditioners. After 10 months of cyclo it finaly lost its curl so I'm back to wavy. However yesterday I took my first dose of mtx and today after wetting my hair its curly again. O happy days.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having this same trouble with my hair and I am on MXT and pred.

I hate my hair....but should be happy I still have some
    I texted my hair dresser today and told her I wanted a tight perm since my hair in unmanagable frizzy now. She told me that I would join the ranks of the "old ladies" if I did that. Not sure if I want to be that old lady yet???
    coffeelover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess old lady hair is better than frizz. Mine was curly yesterday and crazy today. so I'll just wait and see. took my first 6 pills mtx sunday and now will wait and see after I guess 3 months as to what is happening to my body. right? any thoughts about mtx and how quickly I'll see the results?
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    I guess old lady hair is better than frizz. Mine was curly yesterday and crazy today. so I'll just wait and see. took my first 6 pills mtx sunday and now will wait and see after I guess 3 months as to what is happening to my body. right? any thoughts about mtx and how quickly I'll see the results?

Jolanta- I started to post a comment on exercise in the swimming pool (You mentioned therapeutic swimming would require a trip from Mission to Vancouver....) and lost mhy place when I went to see if the Canadian Red Cross offered adaptive aquatics. It did n't look like it, but I went to the adaptive aquatics site, and there was a citation for that organization and a book published with its blessings. Now I have to go out of this again to relocate it because of annoying technical problems- - see you again, soon! CCanadian Red Cross Society (1980). Manual for teaching swimming to the disabled. Toronto, Ontario: Aanadian Red Cross Society (1980). Manual for teaching swimming to the disabled. Toronto, Ontario: A

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Doug, if only the water was a bit warmer. With my Hashimoto's everything is always soo cold.
    Jolanta

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast