Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegener's and the Flu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wegener's and the Flu

Has anyone here caught the flu since being diagnosed?

As you all know, I work in a germ factory. We share desks, phones, keyboards, chairs, etc. I wipe everything down and I try not to sit or be near the people who are sick but ... it's inevitable with people coughing and hacking away in this room I'm going to snag something.

In the past week 5-6 people have passed through here either getting the flu, or getting over it. I started to feel rather poopy yesterday. Today, I still do ... but it's kind of just the same level of poopy. However, as today is going on ... I feel a lil more worse and worse.

My throat hurts and feels thick. I keep having to clear the gunk out. I have been mildly dizzy and feel just sort of 'out of it.' I didn't call in sick because this isn't "bad" yet, you know?

I don't know.

I just want to lie down ....
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been sick a few times, and while it's definitely more miserable and slower to come on (seems like it takes forever to get sick even though you feel it coming), it also sticks around a lot longer. Both hubs and I got sick, and I was twice as long recovering as him. However - other than being sick I didn't flare, but I had only had my last RTX infusion a few months before hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear you are getting that dreadfull awareness that something is not quite right!
    You are right, working in an Office its a daily chore trying to avoid the germ carriers. Most of the people I work with are quite good in that respect, but of course its impossible to avoid everything thats going around.
    First of all, I have been reliably informed that the flu vaccine is a must have for me. I have had it every year since my DX 5 years ago with no ill effects. Not much good to you right now, but feeling like you do I would gargle with a strong antiseptic mouthwash, take some asprin like tablet, plenty of fluids and get to bed. REST, REST REST! I find it the best solution.
    I have been told by my docs that we are all going to get colds and maybe flu but not to freak out.
    Keep calm but watchfull, if it drags on or gets worse then of course call for the fire brigade to put out the fire.
    I can only say what works for me as of course we all walk a different path with WG but good luck Nikki and keep us posted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't sleep a wink last night, this doesn't help my current situation. I have a 16 hour work day today, but I am off tomorrow. My throat doesn't just ache, man it hurts! It's almost a very sharp pain, and my ears are being funny ... when I breathe in, they clog and I hear myself breathing inside my head.
    I will be spending tomorrow in my pajamas. I can guarantee you that!!!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki , I feel so bad for you especially having to work such long hours,I don't see how you do it even on "good" days. I sure hope you are not getting or got the flu.I agree with Geoff and drink plenty of fluids (hot tea with honey,even a teaspoon of honey will help coat your thoat) Hugs to you and hope you feel better soon.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everyone else, REST, REST, REST. If I've learned one thing with this awful disease it is the fact that I need to listen to my body. When it tells me to STOP and rest, I listen and do so.

So hang in there Nikki! And I hope you can sleep like a baby and get some good deserved rest.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get some betadine gargle happening Nikki.

Your throat description sounds like it has an infection and needs to be sorted quickly, once it has reached this, razor blade swallowing, stage.

I agree with Geoff, gargle, aspirin, fluids and BED.

I know we have to work to make the ends meet, but killing yourself in the process, just doesn't fix the problem.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mishb,what is betadine,is it an over the counter thing ???

Nikki, hope you got alot of rest today.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, it is an antiseptic throat gargle and is available over the counter. Sorry, I didn't realize it wasn't over there.

I guess it is just the name and you guys probably know it as something different. It is an iodine solution.

They also make it as an antiseptic liquid for cuts and scrapes etc.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to agree with Michelle, I find that a strong antiseptic gargle is a must have!

Hope you are resting up Nikki, keep us informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast