User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peripheral Neuropathy: HOW TO DEAL..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only caveat I have heard about any risks from massage is possible injury to tendons or skin if massage was too aggressive while on high dosage of pred and also some antibiotic. The other meds for Wegs are rather quickly excreted from the body and don't build up anywhere. They also become inert rather quickly as they have a short half life so there is no chance of having an adverse reaction to the meds we take for Wegs except for Pred that can weaken skin and tendons at higher dosages. Your skin can become so thin it might tear from a vigorous massage at the high dosages of Pred. Another myth that was promoted for awhile by the massage businesses years ago was that it could help or increase your immune system but all my medical sources and massage therapists tell me this is not true so not to worry. Massages can and do increase circulation and relax your muscles which is generally good for us.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    The only caveat I have heard about any risks from massage is possible injury to tendons or skin if massage was too aggressive while on high dosage of pred and also some antibiotic. The other meds for Wegs are rather quickly excreted from the body and don't build up anywhere. They also become inert rather quickly as they have a short half life so there is no chance of having an adverse reaction to the meds we take for Wegs except for Pred that can weaken skin and tendons at higher dosages. Your skin can become so thin it might tear from a vigorous massage at the high dosages of Pred. Another myth that was promoted for awhile by the massage businesses years ago was that it could help or increase your immune system but all my medical sources and massage therapists tell me this is not true so not to worry. Massages can and do increase circulation and relax your muscles which is generally good for us.
    Just a note about massage in general. Deep tissue massages do release more toxins into the blood stream. Personally I detox for 3 days after a deep tissue massage and don't recommend that route. It feels good while getting it, but watch out. For anyone with a chronic illness that is not accustomed to deep tissue I recommend not starting them now. As nice medium to firm pressure will provide you with deep relaxation and release toxins at a much slower rate. Anyone on medication should inform their therapists what they are taking especially if it's prednisone or a blood thinner. Massage therapists should be trained to know the contraindications that go along with massage if you give them the information they need to make an informed decision.

You are correct that the industry, massage therapists and medical professionals used to say that massage was contraindicated in someone with a compromised immune system or actively on chemotherapy drugs. The thought process behind this was the massage increases the lymph circulation and it was felt that active disease could spread this way. A couple of years ago this changed and it is no longer contraindicated.

Elderly people with thin skin and easy bruising should also avoid deep tissue massage for the same reasons. If you're on the above meds you are a double whammy target. As you stated massages are a wonderful tool to make you feel better and that is, after all, our collective goal.

PS I've been a massage therapist for 12 years.

PPS Didn't mean to high jack the thread. Back to regular programming now.
    Last edited by windchime; 12-02-2013 at 01:32 AM.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOve the foot bath idea! will try!!
    official diagnosis: January 2013
    "What didn't kill me has only made me stronger."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meode81 View Post
    LOve the foot bath idea! will try!!
    I don't have one of those special foot baths but remember a friend went to Goodwill to look for one and there were many of them there! I did find when my neuropathy was worse that just running some hot water in my tub and sticking my feet in there helped a lot, for awhile, anyway.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I don't have one of those special foot baths but remember a friend went to Goodwill to look for one and there were many of them there! I did find when my neuropathy was worse that just running some hot water in my tub and sticking my feet in there helped a lot, for awhile, anyway.
    My podiatrist suggested an alternating hot and cold foot bath. You put your feet into one leave about a minute and then switch to the other one for about a minute. You do this for about 10 minutes and it's supposed to calm down the nerves. I haven't tried it, but know that hot and cold applied to a muscle that is in spasm will cause the muscle to relax so it should work for the feet too.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And other times I have sensitivity pins and needles. And it feels like a damn heavy brick when I walk.... ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ANNOYING SIDE EFFECT LATELY? ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO COPE WITH THIS???? It's really frustrating. I am so paranoid that their is something actually "wrong" with my lower leg / foot because I cant feel it properly!!!
    I have this exact same issue in my left foot although I don't have the pain you describe. I'm not 100% sure when it started but I always have pins+needles feeling and I notice it most when out for long walks. I also have noticed that my big toe nails are no longer growing for some odd reason and the toe itself is very sensitive. I spoke to my Rhumy about it and she said that Wegeners may have caused nerve damage in my feet - or it could have had nerve damage from when my kidneys were failing and I was on high dose preg. and body ballooned into what I referred to as the Michelin Man.

Just my two cents.
    { Thomas D }

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had peripheral Neuorpathy on an off for a long time and so did a student of mine; he used to tear his skin so badly he had terrible sores because he couldn't stand the pain. Then he started riding with me and hasn't had any side effects since. No pain, no tingling. I don't want to keep harping on how great horse therapy is , but it really is. Most of you don't have access to a horse so that makes this therapy out of your reach but if you do have a horse near by I would be glad to talk you through the steps. It isn't really riding because you are on a rope with a teacher at the other end and a surcingle to hold on to so you don't fall. I guess you getting to a horse is about like me getting to a good doctor. I lost my big toe nail as well.They soaked my toes and affected parts with a 4X1000 mix of Copper Sulfate. I would soak my toes 4 times a day for 15 minutes and them soak pads to put over my toes.Copper Sulfate doesn't hurt to apply either. At one point they were going to amputate the end of my toes and the tips of my ears it got so bad. Good luck and stretching exercises help a lot. animo, Barbara
    Last edited by Barbara N; 12-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    My blog: Animo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Gobble Tov to those around the world!!! I have a question for my Weggie BFFS! I had the lung removal/diagnosis 11 months ago. All seems to be calming down,I am final down to 10 mg f Predisone but will have another round of IV Rituxamad after the holidays. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM I NEED TO VENT ABOUT!!! The Peripheral Neuropathy in one of my feet IS SO DAMN ANNOYING!!!. I just lost the big toenail due to this. The pain in my foot can be excruciating at times. And other times I have sensitivity pins and needles. And it feels like a damn heavy brick when I walk.... ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ANNOYING SIDE EFFECT LATELY? ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO COPE WITH THIS???? It's really frustrating. I am so paranoid that their is something actually "wrong" with my lower leg / foot because I cant feel it properly!!!
    xoxo ~Crazy Weggie Teacher Megan
    I had the exact same thing coming out of the hospital and it lasted for almost a year. My Rhuemy at George Washington put me on Lyrica for it and I honestly think it made a difference. I no longer have the numbness and pain in my feet. It could be that the disease process just slowed down however I do think that the Lyrica helped. I don't have to take it anymore, I was on it for about 4 months. Might be worth bringing it up with the doc. I was taking 200mg a day and didn't experience any negative side effects. No real noticeable weight gain, although I was already HUGE from prednisone.
    Last edited by Alex; 12-19-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I had the exact same thing coming out of the hospital and it lasted for almost a year. My Rhuemy at George Washington put me on Lyrica for it and I honestly think it made a difference. I no longer have the numbness and pain in my feet. It could be that the disease process just slowed down however I do think that the Lyrica helped. I don't have to take it anymore, I was on it for about 4 months. Might be worth bringing it up with the doc.
    I also take Lyrica and it seems to help otherwise my back and arms are unbearable.
    My blog: Animo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12