Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weak Nails

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weak Nails

Does anybody else have a problem with weak nails? I used to have pretty strong nails but the last couple months my nails rip at an unbelievably annoying pace. I clip them very short but they still tear with little or no effort when I'm doing things. They snag on things and tear so easily and I don't know what to do to change that. Any suggestions out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, that has never happened to me. But I think soft nails is a sign of a vitamin deficiency. Not sure which one though. It may be vitamin A or E. Have you talked to your docs about this?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a similar problem all my life - even pre-wegs. My Mom had it too, and she had no AI issues during her life. It's only cosmetic, but I use clear nail polish to help keep my nails from splitting and snagging.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    Does anybody else have a problem with weak nails? I used to have pretty strong nails but the last couple months my nails rip at an unbelievably annoying pace. I clip them very short but they still tear with little or no effort when I'm doing things. They snag on things and tear so easily and I don't know what to do to change that. Any suggestions out there?
    I have had problems with nails splitting and breaking for years. I find I need to try keep them cut short and file them down often to get rid of rough edges that might catch on something. I think it relates to our meds or some physical changes from out illnesses.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bit my nails for many years - I know, it's a terrible habit.

I haven't done so for quite a few years now, however they still break or split.
    They seem to grow a lot quicker now and like drz, I have to keep cutting and filing them.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moisturizing the nail can help protect nails from breaking due to a lack of moisture. If your nails are prone to breakage, it could mean they need moisture and putting oil around the cuticle helps moisturize the entire nail which will reduce the incidence of chipping and breaking. All the hand washing most of us do to help with germs, isn't always good for nails either. Using a moisturizer and making sure to rub a little around the cuticles may help too.
    Nothing can break you; you are much stronger than you think... look at what you've already survived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started experiencing the same problem. I will try the moisturizer and see if that helps. Thanks.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Nails have always seemed normal during remission or flares. Don't think it's a WG issue, could be a vitamin deficiency as Phil mentioned.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nails have been normal. But it could be a Wegs thing or a meds thing, as we don't all get the same symptoms or reactions to the meds. Or it could be a vitamin or other deficiency. Maybe the colder, drier winter weather is causing people to notice this just lately. Using more moisturizer on the hands is always a good idea this time of year, as I need to keep reminding myself... and making an extra effort to moisturize the cuticles sounds like a good plan.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011