Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tapering off prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tapering off prednisone

Yay me! My rheumatologist said it was ok to taper off prednisone 2 mg per week at a time. This is going to be the best Christmas present ever... NO MORE PREDNISONE! I should be off of it by the second or third week of December considering I'm now at 9mg per day. 3 more days until I'm down to 7 mg, the a week later down to 5, etc. This is like a New Year's Eve count down but better. My New Year's Resolution is to part with prednisone for the rest of my life. I think I can do it without craving it.... HAHAHAHHAHA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just be alert to your body and symptoms...best of luck!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats! I agree with Don, though. Some people can taper that fast, others can't without a significant return of symptoms, loss of energy, etc., and it could even stimulate a flare. You will know if you need to go a little slower. But here's to your being off pred by Christmas!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great news Chadwyke, but like every one said don't go to quickly and get sick...that would certainly ruin your holidays. Are you taking anything else besides pred ? HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How right you all were! I think I spoke too soon but still caught on fast enough to be aware. For me, the right taper down speed for prednisone is pretty much looking at how I did in the past. Where I was most successful is the actual speed that's right for me. I was just too excited to get it out of my system before more damage from it occurs...not thinking about the damage Wegener's could also do in the process. If I have to lose body parts... I would rather the prednisone destroy my bones than for Wegener's to destroy my organs. I've already had a total hip replacement as a result of prednisone damage. I have no idea the cost or waiting times for a kidney transplant as a result of Wegener's being sneaky. This coming Friday is my procedure for the colonoscopy to see if Wegener's is causing inflammation there since the scope last month revealed absolutely nothing. Both my family doctor and I think they won't find anything there either because the prednisone might be fixing what I was complaining about initially. Either way, there could be other problems non-vasculitis related so I don't want to just throw that thought out of the window just yet. We'll see by the time the test results come back. Thanks for all your help guys!
    Last edited by Chadwyck; 11-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Debra C. I'm also on Imuran... 100 mg daily. I've been doing that since remission. Last November I had to cut it to 50 mg daily because I became neutropenic as a result of being on it for so long. But now I'm back to the regular 100 mg daily and re-introduced the Bactrim no problems with blood counts. I'm glad I was put on that because earlier this March I was showing signs of developing pneumocystis pneumonia. It turned out to be a viral bronchitis... so I was told.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Fri. with the colonoscopy.I was going to mention that you have to start that prep stuff on Thurs and that would ruin your Thanksgiving,but I think I remember you all celebrate another time.Sorry you had problems weining off the pred. How much are you taking now ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Good luck Fri. with the colonoscopy.I was going to mention that you have to start that prep stuff on Thurs and that would ruin your Thanksgiving,but I think I remember you all celebrate another time.Sorry you had problems weining off the pred. How much are you taking now ?
    Oh, man, I forgot about that prep stuff with the colonoscopy! Yuck, just thinking about it makes me ill. I think I'm due for one in 2014. In any case, I hope it goes well, Chadwyck, and nothing negative is found during the procedure, and I'm certainly glad it's not the day after Thanksgiving for you in Canada.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011