Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alcohol and GPA/WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default alcohol and GPA/WG

I have not read much about alcohol and the drugs we are taking (I know all pharm-makers in massive lists of warnings say no to booze) but my Chemist says a couple of cans Guinness is not a concern and may help relax, or a couple glasses of red wine may be good for other reasons, but to avoid the hard stuff like gin and whiskey.
    Is it the pred or MTX that is the best to avoid alcohol, eg; MTX on Tuesday Guinness on Friday or pred at 9.30am red wine at 9.30pm .
    From diag on 7th July 2013 I have not had an alcoholic drink but the pain of the torn back muscles I am tempted to have a glass of beer, is this ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtx has the greater impact on the liver. USA protocol is no alcohol while on mtx for first year, and very little thereafter. European protocol was 1-2 drinks a month.

I have an occasional beer or glass of wine (maybe one in 6-8 weeks). However, I have discovered some pretty good non-alcoholic beers (label says less than 0.5% ABV) such as Kaliber (made by Guinness), Clausthaler, Buckler (Heineken), etc. I'll drink maybe a six pack of these over two weeks. It satisfies my desire to enjoy a beer without messing up my liver. I take my mtx on Wednesday night and don't drink alcohol for at least 36 hours following.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently, my liver function tests went a little wonky and my doctor immediately reminded me that I need to completely obstain from alcohol while on MTX. I've only been on it for 3 months now and recently switched to the more potent injection style.
    I like to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner on "date night" so it's a little bummer that I can't have that.
    MTX is hard on the liver ... and I don't want to take any chances.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Wegs doc said the same thing, no alcohol while on MTX. He did say a beer or two a week on CTX is fine though, and if i'm real good, my remission drug might be something a little less harsh on the liver, Mycophenolate I believe.
    "It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown!"

-A quote to a doctor from me, in the hospital, while giving him a Bells Palsy smile (I was on some gooooood drugs at the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Hospital team never warned me not to take alcohol with Methotrexate, what dose are you all on, maybe my dose of 20 mg per week is low and not a liver problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at 20mg per week and it's made my liver get a little cranky at times. Everyone is different though.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In one book I read I got the notion that most doctors do say we should be careful with alchohol, and some docs would say no alcohol while on MTX. I also understood that its because of its affect on the liver, which might already have a hard time with the MTX. My liver values have always been really low, and I've allowed myself to have a few beers per month but really cut down on drinking and haven't gotten drunk in ages (although I would love to, so annoying to go to an open bar and not drink anything... sigh...)

From the nutritionist who gave us a lecture at the spa I also gathered that large amounts of alcohol promotes inflammation in the body, so that would also be a bad thing for us vasculties (while a glass of wine could be a good thing).

Maybe you can ask your doc?
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even worry about it. Have to die of something someday, so may as well die with a smile....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on 15mg. MTX, which is a pretty low dose, but it still warns against alcohol on a sticker on the bottle. My doc never mentioned it. I don't worry about it a whole lot, either, as long as there are no negatives showing up in my liver numbers. I may have a small drink for several nights in a row in a given week, but it is always a very small amount, like one third shot of vodka in some fruit juice. I don't suppose it is the best idea to do it several nights in a row or on the same day as taking MTX, but I admit I have done that. I wasn't sure whether it was about doing it on the same day or about doing it at all.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only drink every other day......just like my pred.....
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast