Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Members' experience of minimum prednisolone levels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Members' experience of minimum prednisolone levels

How do members determine what the lowest dose of pred they can get down to?

I have now had 3 reduction exercises. The first 2 were very slow reductions, probably getting to 5 / 2.5mg before I flared (whether the pred reduction was the cause of the flares is an open question). The latest I would class as a ‘crash reduction’ – 10mg to zero in 2 months – following fantastic results from RTX.

I have to say that sitting at zero I don’t feel entirely comfortable. I don’t think it is psychosomatic. I have been at zero for about 3 weeks so suspect all the pred is not out of the system yet, so am being patient! There are niggling symptoms and I certainly don’t feel as good as I did 2 months back although there is nothing solid I can put my finger on.

If I need some pred I would prefer now to work up to the minimum value rather than wait until there is something serious to treat and have to start on a big dose, with the subsequent reduction.

I would be interested in the experience of others in reaching equilibrium. I expect as many different answers as there are responders but there may be a common theme! Also, what level of ‘discomfort’ / symptoms is tolerated, if that makes sense?!

Thank you, Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Peter,

I was on a long, slow taper from July 2012 - April 2013. I began tapering from 60 mg/day at the rate of 5 mg/ 2 weeks down to 20 mg/day. From there, it was 1 mg/2 weeks until I got to zero. I felt fine until mid-July ( about three months after reaching zero) when I started having roaming joint pain, joint stiffness, and my feet would burn for about 30 minutes after getting out of bed. I ascribed these symptoms to aging (I'm 67). They were actually the first symptoms of a flare that went untreated until September.

My goal during this taper was to get off pred altogether. My goal going forward is to find the minimum dose that keeps me asymptomatic.

Knowing what I know now, I'm following the same taper schedule down to 10 mg/day. From there, I think I'll do 1 mg/month reduction and pay close attention to odd symptoms. If/when they materialize, I'll go back up to the last dose and see how it goes.

good luck with your taper.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I am trying to get down from 5mg to 4mg couple of months. Each time I have more coughing, joints pains, ears fluids and pains, more productions from nose and diarhea (because of my colon involvement). So it seems that 5mg is my dose
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

rif Guest

My son seems to be stuck on 5mg daily dose which enables him to function along with Cellcept. His last Ritux infusion was just over two years ago which is the longest he has gone between flares so not going to 'rock the boat'

Rif

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rif View Post
    My son seems to be stuck on 5mg daily dose which enables him to function along with Cellcept. His last Ritux infusion was just over two years ago which is the longest he has gone between flares so not going to 'rock the boat'

Rif
    Hi Rif
    That is the same dose as me. I take 3,000 mg Cellcept and 5mg pred. This seems to keep me stable. I have been on this dose for 18 months now having gone through the horror story that began in 2009. What age is your bson and what symptoms did he have up to being diagnosed?
    Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Peter, maybe you are one of those that do better on a baby dose of pred like 10 or 5mg.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife dropped to zero in March of 2013, and then dropped that kidney rejection drug in August when her white count hit zero. She said she felt great with no drugs. Then in October she developed hip pain that the chiro couldn't fix so her primary doc put her on pred for about three weeks. She has been off that for about two weeks but her hip is bothering her now. I'm thinking that keeping her on a low dose of pred may not be a bad idea. I'll suggest that to her to discuss with her rheumie next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have been at 5 mg pred daily for past two years and aza from 150-200 mg daily too. That was dosage my doctors recommended for long term maintenance for me. So it seems to be mostly working fine, with no big flares but minor increases in residual symptoms, especially when I get an infection or high level of stress.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been at 3mg for about 5 months now.
    I really think that 5mg is a good number for me and a number that doesn't make me feel achey.

I am sticking with 3mg because going down to 2.5 or 2mg just bought too much pain to my knees and hands - but I only tried it for a week (that was enough).

At 3mg, I have niggling aches but they are tolerable. I have more nose bleeds, but they are also tolerable.
    Sometimes, things just feel a little uncomfortable and then I take 4mg, which takes the edge off.

My rheumy said that I would never get below 3mg and would alternate between 3, 4 and 5 for the rest of my life........I think I am fine with these figures.

Peter, I hope you can manage to get to zero and stay there, without a flare
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After my first relapse, 3mg of pred seems to be just fine for me. I think about moving it to 4 or 5 just to feel even better...hmmm, don't do that Dirty...LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast