Thread: Hair Loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hair Loss

hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced sudden hair loss. I have been on the same meds for almost 3 years now withthe exception of adding tecta for acid reflux back in may. None of the meds i am on will cause hair loss but all of a sudden over the past 2 months is is c oming out at a rapid rate and i have no signs of new growth. At this rate i will be bauld by x-mas.

Any ideas?
    Danica

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to ask your doc about folic acid. I take 1 mg/day to counter hair loss side effect of methotrexate. Seems to be working so far (16 months).
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on mtx and pred...I had a lot of hair fallout then Mayo prescribed 3 mgs of folic for me. Hair came back with a rush...even had curly hair for a while! LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is starting to thin. I am this close to shaving it all off because it's thin in a stripe on the back of my head!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the folic acid idea. I will talk to the docs about it when i go in next week. I have had curly hair my whole life and would to keep it. It just feels like one more thing right now on top of all the other life changes over the past 4 years. Do you ever feel like you could take a vacation from yourself for a week or so for a breather? lol. if only.
    Danica

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danica View Post
    Thank you for the folic acid idea. I will talk to the docs about it when i go in next week. I have had curly hair my whole life and would to keep it. It just feels like one more thing right now on top of all the other life changes over the past 4 years. Do you ever feel like you could take a vacation from yourself for a week or so for a breather? lol. if only.
    Yeah, it seems to work well with no side effects at all. Keep the curly!! We do need vacations too, from ourselves as we exist now...but sometimes the vacations can be dangerous now for us too! LOL! It's a rollercoaster at best from here on out...I'm not a kid anymore, hate rollercoasters! LOL! Not really...just too old...hehe! Hang tough, listen to your body, and get good docs!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    My hair is starting to thin. I am this close to shaving it all off because it's thin in a stripe on the back of my head!
    I wanna see a pic! LOL! Are you on folic at all? Should be, it does help many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don and Pete, are you implying that folic acid mainly works for people experiencing hair loss as a result of taking MTX? Or would this be true for ANY hair loss, such as that from CTX or the intensive chemo that cancer patients get? Or even hair loss from old age? Just curious. Folic acid is cheap!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Don and Pete, are you implying that folic acid mainly works for people experiencing hair loss as a result of taking MTX? Or would this be true for ANY hair loss, such as that from CTX or the intensive chemo that cancer patients get? Or even hair loss from old age? Just curious. Folic acid is cheap!
    Speaking for myself, I was prescribed folic acid to prevent hair loss while taking mtx. I did not take folic acid during the 16 months I took ctx. I did not experience hair loss on ctx.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Speaking for myself, I was prescribed folic acid to prevent hair loss while taking mtx. I did not take folic acid during the 16 months I took ctx. I did not experience hair loss on ctx.
    Hmm, that's interesting.... I kind of got that impression from Don, too, in various posts, that it might be MTX specific as far as folic acid preventing hair loss. However, I DID experience hair loss on CTX and think other people have, too. When I started tapering it and went off it, and switched to MTX, the hair loss definitely slowed down.... but then, I started taking folic acid with MTX, too.
    Last edited by annekat; 11-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast