Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from North Dakota...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello from North Dakota...

Hi! I can't believe I've never found this site before! But here I am, and newly registered. I am a seven-year survivor of WG, diagnosed 08.31.06 at the age of 19. More of my story is on my profile, I won't go into great detail here (mostly because I need to go to work soon!) I've been very fortunate to have had sustained clinical remission since remission induction, despite my ANCA titres being a low positive. Currently I'm very interested to know if anyone knows anyone/has information on the ramifications of WG survivorship where pregnancy is concerned. I've been off MTX for about 2 1/2 years. My husband and I have been doing some pretty extensive doctoring for preconception counseling to determine if it's worth the risk. I understand I would be the 31st recorded case if I did have a baby. Some doctors seem to think the possibility of a flare is the greater concern; some seem to think the state of my kidneys is the greater concern (just got put back on BP meds, 24 hr urine protein of 2215. ouch.) Some studies (of which there is a limited number of course) say that the flare rate in pregnancy is greater than the general rate for WG survivors. Some say it's pretty much the same. Anyway, what we've been told over and over is that it's risky, it's unpredictable, but if you want to you can try it. Lovely. My rheum who was my dr during my initial recovery retired several years ago, and I just don't feel like anyone else "gets it", ya know? Anyone who has any info, I'd be very grateful! Must go... but I'm very much looking forward to talking with people on here! See ya later!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome mandolin...glad you found us...we're here for ya! Best place to be when you have questions and no docs around! Very cool on the your 'survival' length...makes me feel better! There's some threads on here that discuss pregnancy...search them. Off hand, it seems if you have the WG under control and are healthy otherwise, then you can do what you want, including pregnancy, as long as you watch for flaring, etc. In my 'male' mind, experienced and old, if you are in remission, then you/we are like everyone else at that point...my pulmy has told me this many times. We have to watch for infections, etc., but pregnancy always seems to induce the best of health in mothers as long as they're trying to stay healthy for the both of them. Best to you both!!!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Forum Mandolin. I know many Weggies that have had healthy babies. It sounds like it is safe for you to try to conceive.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, mandolin. I can't address the pregnancy issue except to say that it's been discussed on here, and some of the warnings you've been given by docs could be a little more dire than necessary, based on what I've read. I understand there are risks for anyone with WG, whether in remission or not, but my gut instinct says go for it. I know there is currently someone on here who just had a baby, I hope she will see this and that others respond, too! Congrats on doing so well with your WG, and on finding the forum!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious as to where you are in North Dakota. I am just north of you in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome,
    there are some stories in the forum of babies that were born safely and healthy.
    more then that, I think that pregnancy and breast feeding can help your health. I believe that the hormonal activity can influence your state for good. there was some discussion about it here, if I remember well.
    of course, always consult with your docs.
    good luck !
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I'm curious as to where you are in North Dakota. I am just north of you in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
    I'm in Grand Forks, ND- NE corner of the state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oil sure is booming in that area.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    The oil sure is booming in that area.
    that's more out west, thank goodness. there's more violent crime out there in one week than ND used to have in a whole year.... or so it seems. the lawless wild west, haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes, you are right. I was thinking you are close to Minot. Ya, I have heard how bad the crime is there and how the Hell's Angels have taken over.....very scary.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003