Thread: Alternative treatment for WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alternative treatment for WG

Hi all.
    Has anybody investigated alternatives to drugs.
    Including:
    Herbal
    Holistic
    Homeopathy
    Acupuncture
    Diet
    Acupressure
    Meditation
    Yoga
    or any other?

Please post any info good or bad.

All best
    stephwest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The consensus on here seems to be that some of these things can help us, for sure, but that is very dangerous to try to treat ourselves for Wegs using alternative therapies in place of our standard medical treatment. You can probably find quite a few threads on this subject by doing some searches. There will be opinions on both sides of the issue.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bottom line is: Wegs is autoimmune and so far there is not alternative to the rtx, chemo and steroids to treat Wegs.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, that does not say that things like chiro and accupuncture and certain herbs cannot help. I go see a chiro at least every 2 weeks. I would not want to live without a chiro. But with herbs, one has to be under the careful care of a good naturopathic doc.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet is also important in helping reduce the inflammation in our bodies, along with our standard meds. There have been quite a few threads on diet, including some recent ones, which can also be searched. I would think a person in a drug-free remission might benefit greatly from an anti-inflammatory diet and some of these other things and it could reduce chances of a flare and needing to go back on the meds. But as Phil says, there are things to be careful of, one of which is herbs that stimulate the immune system, and his advice to consult a good Naturpathic doc is very valid, I'm sure. Also, any of these things that reduce stress, such as yoga, chiropractic, anything that relieves tensions in the body or mind, is sure to help. Unfortunately, there seem to be few of us in drug free remission, so anything we do would be in conjunction with our meds.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any alternatives?

death!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    But, that does not say that things like chiro and accupuncture and certain herbs cannot help. I go see a chiro at least every 2 weeks. I would not want to live without a chiro. But with herbs, one has to be under the careful care of a good naturopathic doc.
    Hi Phil, can I ask what you are going to a chiro for every 2 weeks is it muscle weakening? or bone related thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chiro treatments are mainly for just a tune up. But I started seeing a chiro weekly back in 2010 when my coughing was extremely bad due to the Mycobacterium Abscessus Lung Disease I had. The coughing put the ribs out of alignment and I could barely walk one day so I decided I better start seeing a chiro if I didn't want to live in extreme pain and wanted to walk again. I also have a slight curvature to my spine that needs correction as well. Everyone should go see a chiro at least once a month just for tune up. Would you let your car go over 3 months without an oil change?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly if somebody has active/flare/relapse WG then I would never advise against medication.
    As for periods of remission then I would recommend anything that you personally believe in. The reason being is that, in my opinion, the mind can be a strong tool.
    When I was initially diagnosed I was told that I wouldn't leave the hospital alive. The hospital chaplain visited me everyday and could not believe my positive attitude. The truth is I felt like a fraud. I wasn't being mentally strong and positive, I was 17 and just didn't accept that I was going to die. Maybe it was naivety, but in my mind I would survive and I did. Now, obviously, without the drugs no matter what my mind thought, I wouldn't have survived.
    Conversely, when I've been more stressed than usual I've had relapses. As stress is a mental state I think it somewhat shows that your mind can also turn against you.

I can also be argued that voodoo only works on people that believe in it, i.e. it's all in the mind. Therefore if you think any of the alternative treatments will work, then chances are they will because your mind controls more than just thoughts and memories IMO.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    The chiro treatments are mainly for just a tune up. But I started seeing a chiro weekly back in 2010 when my coughing was extremely bad due to the Mycobacterium Abscessus Lung Disease I had. The coughing put the ribs out of alignment and I could barely walk one day so I decided I better start seeing a chiro if I didn't want to live in extreme pain and wanted to walk again. I also have a slight curvature to my spine that needs correction as well. Everyone should go see a chiro at least once a month just for tune up. Would you let your car go over 3 months without an oil change?

I have never been to one and don't plan to start going now
    My husband goes occasionally for back and neck troubles but they are very expensive and I just can't afford it
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast