User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Foods. Inflammation factor. Nutrition data.

Savva Guest

Default Foods. Inflammation factor. Nutrition data.

Guys, I used to be very aware of what I am eating. I know approximately how much protein, fats or carbohydrates each food contains. Also have some knowledge about vitamins and minerals. I used to check out this website: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Semolina, unenriched
    If you click the link you will see semolina nutrition data. Now there's a question I always wanted to ask: what is "inflammation factor". On the site it says semolina, for example, has -585 and is strongly inflammatory. Now the question is: does it have profound effect on our WG? I am worried, I don't know if I should eat semolina after all.
    Last edited by Savva; 11-07-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know what Semolina is..........
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I don't even know what Semolina is..........
    Semolina is a variety of wheat commonly found in pasta.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Semolina is a variety of wheat commonly found in pasta.
    There is a lot of talk these days about gluten being inflammatory and how people with AI diseases should avoid it, among other things. Since semolina is wheat, it would fall into this category. There have been some threads on here that discuss this. The most recent one I remember was entitled something like "If I knew 2 years ago what I know now..." and started by aewaustin. You could do a search for that and also check out the whole gluten issue on the web, keywords would be gluten-free, anti-inflammatory diet, stuff like that. There are pasta substitutes that don't contain gluten, including rice noodles and buckwheat noodles. I can't say I'm gluten free, it's just something I think about a lot.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Was just recently on a lecture by a nutritionist and he told to avoid sugars and white flour (among other things). Unfortunately that pretty much means all my favorite foods are bad for me.

I actually just ordered this book on anti-inflammatory diet, but it has gotten some mixed reviews so dunno if its any good. You could certainly google with "anti-inflammatory diet" and probably find some good resources.

The Everything Anti-Inflammation Diet Book: The Easy-to-Follow, Scientifically Proven Plan to: Reverse and Prevent Disease, Lose Weight and Increase ... of Aging, Live Pain Free Everything S.: Amazon.co.uk: Karlyn Grimes: Books

About gluten free, the nutritionist said its five times as likely to get another anti-immune disease when you already have one... So dunno, I'm thinking of getting one of those tests from the pharmacy about keliakia (is it that in English). Should be fairly reliable and costs like 20 euros.

I also just got a D-vitamin blood tests (should have the results on Mon at the latest) since that also improtant for us as I take calcium supplements to prevent osteoporosis and if we don't get enough D-vit then the calcium isn't absorbed and can remain in the blood stream which could help cause cardiac trouble. Not really related to the topic, but just figured I mention it since the nutritionist seemed to think it was important.

He also really advocated that we'd take Omega 3 acids since they help prevent inflammations and suggested we'd eat nuts since they also contain healthy oils (not peanuts).
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another book worth looking at is The Immune System Recovery Plan (if I have the title right), by Susan Blum MD, a practitioner of Functional Medicine. She addresses diet, health of the gut, stress, liver function, among other things. She isn't suggesting we quit our meds, just what we can do to help our immune systems function better and reduce the potential damage done by our disease. Wedgie, in your post above, you might have been referring to celiac disease, a special gluten sensitivity that I think is considered an AI disease in itself. But even if you don't have this, a gluten free diet is said to be beneficial to just about everyone. There are also those who would disagree and say that if you don't have celiac disease, you don't have to worry about it. I think Dr. Blum says you should be gluten free if you have an autoimmune disease, regardless of whether you have celiac disease.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great book with a lot of"food" for thought. I keep trying to go g free but I am weak. Lol. There are many books out there and it gets confusing . There are common threads in the books that I try,note the word try, to apply to my diet.